You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Library Clean UP and Reduce Size #1
Nicholas Evered's picture
by Nicholas Evered
April 13, 2013 - 1:35pm

Hi, I have searched through this and other sites on how to clean up and reduce the size of my Library. My Library has about 18,000 images, some JPEG but mostly RAW.

I have recently consolidated a number of libraries into one and then went through and deleted quite a few images that were duplicates and unwanted. Even though the additional libraries were not that large my consolidated library has grown larger than the sums of what I started with. I assumed I had picked up lots of rubbish along the way, so I went through a process of searching to see tips and tricks to clean up.

Steps I have performed so far include;

1 Made sure that I turned off automatically creating previews.
2 Reduce the size of any previews to half original size and quality of 5 (previews were much larger and quality 9).
3 Selected all photos and deleted all previews (I did this twice as I thought I had screwed up the first one).
4 Rebuilt the photo database.
5 Created a whole new library and then imported the old one into it.

Which I think covered all the options I found.

Trouble is my original library was 242gb and its now grown to 269gb with no extra photos added. What gives!

Advice would be very much appreciated.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 14, 2013 - 3:12am

Nicholas,

You never mentioned whether you emptied the Aperture trash. When you delete an image it moves to the Aperture trash and therefore won’t take up any less space until you empty the Aperture trash. Once you empty the Aperture trash, the images move to the system trash. So your disk won’t gain any space until you empty the Aperture trash and then the system trash.

One other thing to mention is using the Reject command (in case you’re using it) does not delete any images. It only flags them to be filtered out of view in the browser unless you select the browser view to “All”.

Thomas

Nicholas Evered's picture
by Nicholas Evered
April 14, 2013 - 12:16pm

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes I deleted all pics that I rejected, emptied the Aperture trash and emptied the systems trash.

This morning I rebuilt the thumbnails and rebuilt the previews. Library size now 267gb.

Go figure.

Nick

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness