You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
levels vs curves #1
rob freeman's picture
by rob freeman
March 14, 2011 - 2:47am

From the reading I have done I'm under the impression levels and curves do the same thing, just differently. Is this correct?

rob

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
March 16, 2011 - 8:59am

Curves. I’ve watched several training sessions on them for both Photoshop and Aperture on Lynda.com. I’m still intimidated. I wonder if a Live Training session that includes curves will appear some day. I think AE could do it better than anyone.

Thomas

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 16, 2011 - 9:46am

Thomas,

We’ll get there—promise ;-)

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 15, 2011 - 2:22am

Rob,

I was hoping some other users would chime in on this, and perhaps they still will. It’s an interesting discussion point.

The answer is… sort-of ;-)

Curves were not part of Aperture until version 3, because the engineers felt that you could do the same thing with curves as you can in levels, as long as you enable the quarter-tones [screenshot]. However many felt (myself included) that this still didn’t offer the control and flexibility of true curves.

Fortunately Apple added curves in Aperture 3, and boy did they. The curves in Aperture 3 goes way beyond what you can do in Photoshop (no idea about Lightroom) because of the Range selector [screenshot]. With that, you can get to highlight details that you simply couldn’t before. It’s a beautiful thing.

My money is on curves for most work.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness