You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.3 and Aperture not work #1
Bmann's picture
by Bmann
April 22, 2015 - 9:01am

Hi, upgraded from Mavericks 10.9.5.  The OS X 10.10.3 says I need to update to Aperture for Yosemite, and to open the App Store, but when I go to the App store, it tells me Aperture is no longer there.  What should I do?  I a have a managed library and I’m not read for Photos, and need to prepare my 500 gigs library for LR most likely.  Any advice would be nice!

Bmann

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 23, 2015 - 4:48am

If Aperture doesn’t show up in the Updates section of the Mac App Store, then look in the Purchases section. It may ask you to log into your account to view your purchases. On the right side of each app listed you’ll see a button that will either say “Install”, “Open” or “Update” depending on the current state of the app.

Thomas

Bmann's picture
by Bmann
April 28, 2015 - 10:25am

Great idea, and it should work, but I tried it, and it goes gray as if to do it, but nothing actually happens.  Should i delete my current version and try it again?

Bmann

Pete's picture
by Pete
April 29, 2015 - 5:38pm

Bmann, sorry to hear this. Sounds like you didn't clone your Mavericks boot drive before you ran the update to Yosemite. In theory and according to Apple you shouldn't have to do it, unfortunately the time when you could run a major OS X update and expect everything to run smooth afterwards are gone. Since Yosemite even a dot release is risky without a clone or at least a time machine backup.

So if you cannot easily revert to your Mavericks installation, I'd probably copy your current version of Aperture to an external drive, delete it from the application folder and try to reinstall it from the app store. If that doesn't work all you can do is call Apple and ask them to send you an installer.

Btw. a family member recently bought a new iMac, which came with iPhoto preinstalled. After running all system updates, iPhoto refused to start with the message, he should get the latest update from the app store (he wanted to use iPhoto as other family members still work with iPhoto). Guess what, there was no update available in the app store and he had no purchases list, as this was his first Mac. Insane!

Well done, Apple. 

John Boyd's picture
by John Boyd
April 30, 2015 - 3:01am

Plow through the Comments on Opinion: Can an Aperture user be happy with Apple’s ew Photos SW? on dppreview.com

Someone had your problem, and the answer–as I remember it–was to put Aperture into Trash and then go to the Aperture upgrade on Mac App store and download what will be the latest upgrade. But please check the source in Comments first (mid-way onwards) as I scanned it, rather than read it.

Bmann's picture
by Bmann
April 30, 2015 - 10:20pm

Hi Thanks everyone.  John, your solution worked - putting it in the trash, and then going to the app store and downloading from Purchases did it.  Without putting in the trash, the download would hang!! THANK YOU every one for helping out!  Now to move to Lightroom 6 I think …

Jennifer Wolf's picture
by Jennifer Wolf
September 6, 2015 - 2:03am

Thanks also.  That solution also worked for me and I’m making a back up of 3.6 just in case I need it in the future.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?