You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
JPG/RAW pair? How delete the JPG? #1
Esteban Ulmi's picture
by Esteban Ulmi
December 4, 2012 - 8:00am

My initial understanding of working “JPG and RAW as a pair” was wrong. Now I would like to keep only the RAWs and delete all the JPGs.
How can I do that?

Remark:
I have imported during quite a time, all as JPG/RAW as a pair, with JPG set as original. I had thought, that all modifications I was doing, were using the RAW and what I see would be the JPG when I export it. Now I know better. I can set the RAW as original, but I cannot find out, how to get rid of the JPGs.

Esteban Ulmi's picture
by Esteban Ulmi
December 11, 2012 - 7:34am

Carl, thanks a lot.
Because of your link I know now, it is not possible in Aperture itself to separate JPG/RAW pairs, so no need to search anymore. More important, I found out an quite simple workaround to get rid off the JPG:

1. export the JPG/RAW originals to somewhere in the finder and include meta data. A JPG and a RAW file will be exported
2. re-import only the RAW into the same project
3. now all the JPG/RAW pairs can be deleted and I don’t loose all my metadata

Why I would do that?
I have tons of projects from travels where I have imported always JPG/RAW as a pair with JPG as original. I spent much time in keywording and rating, but I never was happy with some of the best shots and couldn’t find out, how to improve them.
Now I know, that I was actually modifying the JPG and not using the RAW. I just could set RAW as original, but I want to delete all the JPGs and only keep the RAWs.

Carl Brauer's picture
by Carl Brauer
December 5, 2012 - 1:40am

Can you just create a Smart Album using a Search of File Type is jpeg? Then delete all of them if that is what you wish to do?

Esteban Ulmi's picture
by Esteban Ulmi
December 5, 2012 - 6:08am

Thanks for the advice, but no success.
When I delete the JPG, the RAW disappears also, because there are a pair. I can set the RAW as original, but then the JPG still stays in the background.

The question is, how I can separete the JPG/RAW pair?
Once this would be done, I could delete the JPG only.

vidpixarts@gmail.com's picture
by vidpixarts@gmail.com
December 5, 2012 - 6:39am

Esteban: try this. On your original raw right click and choose duplicate version. This will give you a new raw photo which I think is NOT LNKED to the jpg. I think you can shift click and select a range. Try it with 5 or 6 photos. You should get a duplicate named xxxversion 1.

Then put these in a new project and see if they come in WITHOUT the paired jpeg. If so then I think you can delete the other pairs.

BUT WAIT: see if others confirm the behavior in this post.

Esteban Ulmi's picture
by Esteban Ulmi
December 8, 2012 - 10:17pm

I tried it, but the duplicate is again a pair of JPG/RAW, so that does not solve the problem.

I tried a another approach.
I work referenced and I took one picture that I have imported as JPG/RAW pair. Set the RAW as the master and went in the finder to delete the JPG.
The JPG is gone, but in Aperture the symbol remains the same as on the pictures where the pair is still complete.

As I have thousands of fotos imported as a pair and do not need the JPG anymore, I would really like, if I could either:
a) find a way how to delete all the JPG’s from the pairs so only the RAW remains

or, if not possible

b) find a workaround, how I can import the RAWs again, take over all the specific keywords the pairs have

Any advices?
Greetings from hot&humid Brazil

Carl Brauer's picture
by Carl Brauer
December 8, 2012 - 11:48pm

This may not be what you were hoping for, but look at this link:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3158508?start=0&tstart=0

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?