You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jpg and raw workflow question #1
Stig Bordsenius's picture
by Stig Bordsenius
September 6, 2012 - 3:44am

I guess I should know this, but I have not figured it out yet. After I got my Nikon D800 disk-space has become, shall we say, sparse. Each raw-file is 75 Mb. So I have switched to shooting jpg and Raw, and the plan is to keep all jpg's in the aperture library, and save all the RAW-files somewhere else.

Is there a handy way of doing this? I want to keep the raw files in case there is one I'll need in the future, but I do not want to have them on my macbook because the disk will be filled within weeks.

I would prefer to not do anything manual - the ideal would be to have a new folder created on an external drive for each import I make in Aperture, and all raw-fiels copied there.

Stig

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
September 6, 2012 - 4:13am

Probably the easiest method since the D800 can use two cards, would be to record RAW to the CF card … and jpeg to the SD card … then import from the cards saving the files where you choose …

John Waugh's picture
by John Waugh
September 6, 2012 - 5:25am

I think of hard drives as the film in todays cameras.
If you want to work on RAW images and your camera makes huge files, get huge hard drives and keep everything together. Make additional libraries to keep thing manageable.
23 Tb and counting.
My 2 cents worth,
John

John Waugh, Photographic Images • Apple Certified Trainer• Sport Action Lifestyle Photography

Stig Bordsenius's picture
by Stig Bordsenius
September 9, 2012 - 10:55pm

Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I’m importing all raw filed from the SD card, and the jpegs from the camera using usb . In this way I do not need the adaptor for the memory card.

And 2 days after each import I erase the raw-files… I use crashplan for backup, and even if I erase the files locally they stay at crashplan. So I save diskspace, and keep them safe at the same time.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness