You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
internal disk managed or referenced #1
Josete21's picture
by Josete21
April 25, 2014 - 12:26pm

Hi all, 

I have macbook 2012 with 500GB hhd. Have a big library managed internal of about 220GB. I want to know if there’s some performance difference if I put the masters as referenced, but inside the same internal disk (I’m happy with mi TimeMachine configuration).

current escenario:

220GB managed library

new escenario:

50GB library + 180GB masters referenced in the same disk

Another question:

It’s possible that a managed library runs faster in usb disk that in internal? I mean, because the internal disk can run the system at the same time that aperture runs external disk. 2 plates differents could be faster than put the managed library in internal disk?

Thank you in advance

Chris Biele's picture
by Chris Biele
April 26, 2014 - 6:57pm

Hi Josete,

Keeping referenced images on an internal disk, especially the same disk your library is on, doesn’t really have much benefit. It won’t make things any faster, and if you use vaults then backing up will be more cumbersome. I would recommend keeping your images managed until you’re ready to move them to an external disk.

As for keeping your library on an external drive, I honestly don’t think you would see much of a speed increase. The system uses minimal processes to run in the background, unless you are crunching videos or running other data intensive tasks. If anything, keeping the library on an external disk would increase image load times.

Is your library running slow?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 26, 2014 - 8:44pm

The only reason (I can think of) to keep the library and referenced originals on the same HD is if you need to easily access the originals from a different photo editor besides Aperture. (Dare I say LightRoom?). Otherwise I think Managed would be less prone to messing things up.

That being said, I actually do keep my library and referenced originals on the same drive and I do it referenced for the reason I just stated.

Thomas

Rolf Schmolling's picture
by Rolf Schmolling
April 27, 2014 - 9:40am

Just to note, if you run out of space on your internal HD in the future you could

• either move the whole managed library onto an external HD
  • or keep your library on the internal HD and your masters as referenced on an external HD.

Anyway in both cases you would be able to keep them backed up by TimeMachine if you set it up that way!

R.

Josete21's picture
by Josete21
April 28, 2014 - 8:47am

Thank you all, I haven’t speed problems, just want to know if the thinks can go faster.

I will keep my library managed and into my internal hp. I feel confortable with the vaults and time machine combination.

Regards

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?