You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Importing "referenced" iPhoto library into Aperture 3 #1
Brent Kobayashi's picture
by Brent Kobayashi
January 12, 2011 - 1:36pm

I initially wanted to move my iphoto library from my MacBook to my new MacBook Pro. However, moving a “referenced” iPhoto library to a new computer is full of hurdles. This has led me to the option of using Aperture.

There isn't a way to consolidate a referenced iphoto library, so even if i kept the root directories the same on the new computer, iphoto is unable to locate and establish a link to those files on its own. I'm faced with re-importing all of my photos where I would lose all metadata and smart albums.

Ideally, I would like to take my referenced iphoto library and convert it into a managed Aperture library where everything is self contained.

Is this possible?

#2: Would this be possible using the target disk mode over FireWire?
option 1: MacBook Pro running Aperture while importing the iPhoto library from the macbook over FireWire?

Or would it be better to Install Aperture on the old MacBook, import it into Aperture there, and then bring over the Aperture library to the new MacBook pro later?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 13, 2011 - 12:47am

Brent,

Your thought process is spot-on. Target disk mode is precisely what I was going to recommend, then got to your paragraph asking if that was a good idea. The answer… yes :)

Once the MacBook is connected to the MacBook Pro, you may want to launch iPhoto and point it to your MacBook library, and ensure that everything is connected/reading properly before you start the migration. By going one step at a time, you’ll be able to spot any problems along the way instead of finding them at the end.

Once you’re secure that iPhoto on the MacBook Pro is seeing your MacBook iPhoto library (while connected as a target disk), then go ahead and quit iPhoto and proceed with the Aperture merge.

Do be sure you have sufficient space on your MacBook Pro hard drive, although if it’s new that shouldn’t be a problem.

Good luck!
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Brent Kobayashi's picture
by Brent Kobayashi
January 14, 2011 - 8:35am

Joseph,

It worked out perfectly!

I was tearing my hair out trying to move that iPhoto library (iphoto library manager and aliasherder couldn’t solve my problems). I’m glad I “stumbled” onto Aperture and boy is it an upgrade over iphoto in all areas anyway.

Thanks again!
Brent

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 14, 2011 - 11:29am

Brent,

Awesome! Welcome to the family :)

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness