You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
"Importing photos" in iTunes is ssllooww #1
Bo Kristensen's picture
by Bo Kristensen
November 12, 2013 - 12:07am

After updating to Mavericks, iTunes 11.1.3, and Aperture 3.5, I am finding my iPhone/iPad syncs incredible slow. Especially the “Importing photos” step takes forever.

I have my photos on my NAS, organised in Aperture, and have always synced from there in iTunes. Aperture, and a few of my albums are selected, and the correct photos go onto the iPhones/iPads. So it works, but it can easily take 15 minutes, even when I haven't added any photos, and even if I have, the copying across only happens in a later step.

My photos are organised in Aperture with reference, but Aperture is not any faster/slower than it has ever been. Only the usage of Aperture in iTunes…

I can hear on the NAS (ticking/searching sound) that it is spending the time looking for something, but I have no clue what???

I have now done all the library “fixing” you can do in Aperture, and it didn't do a damn thing to the syncing problem.

This is something which has only started happening following the latest upgrades. I have about 50K photos in the library, and I sync about 2K of these, but it never took minutes to sync, only if I added a lot of new photos. Now, even when I don't do anything, just sync, it can take 10 min. to sync my iPhone.

My library is on an Accelsior drive, with the photos references from my NAS, and I use AFP as that was fastest when I tested the various solutions…

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
November 12, 2013 - 12:42am

I know a little about NAS, I have a drobo. Is your NAS directly connected to your computer (DAS)? It really should be for aperture. You mentioned that your images are referenced so is the library on an internal hard drive? cuz Lib themselves are not to be on the NAS or DAS. Do you have enough empty space on your Hard drives? Have enough Ram? I have run the three steps to rebuilding a lib many times with out problems, don’t be afraid to do it again if you have a backup. Vaults are ok but a solid lib back up on your NAS for emergency only… is better. As for sync images to iPhone iPad you need to hear from others on that. Cheers DBM

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Bo Kristensen's picture
by Bo Kristensen
November 12, 2013 - 1:20am

I have the photos on my NetGear ReadyNAS, and the Aperture library on an internal drive on my MacPro. I have the 1TB Accelsior PCIe SSD installed in my MacPro, and it is normally lightning fast. Aperture is fast as usual when I just open it.

It is only when I use iTunes to sync photos with my iPhones and iPads it is slow. iTunes go through Aperture to do this, and I hear a lot of activity on the NAS when this step is performed in iTunes.

This only started when I upgraded to Mavericks, iTunes 11.1.3 and Aperture 3.5. So, something is not working as it is supposed to.

BTW - I have a copy of the Aperture library on my NAS as well, which my MacBooks can access via WiFi, and that is actually fast enough as well. It is of course not as fast as using Aperture on my MacPro, but it is definitely usable.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness