You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Import processing suddenly changing photos #1
Jake McKee's picture
by Jake McKee
February 13, 2011 - 1:58pm

I noticed tonight after doing an import of RAW photos that as the “Processing…” function (as shown in the bottom of the A3 window), photos were randomly turning slightly darker when I watched the browser window thumbnails. There was no clear order to how they were darkening, but after repeating a new import, the same behavior repeated.

I thought maybe I'd mistakenly toggled a preset to be run when imports happen, but I checked and no, no presets are toggled in the import window.

Is this standard behavior? I don't remember seeing it before and I'm not really crazy about the darkening of images that's taking place without me asking A3 to do it.

Very confused….

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 14, 2011 - 2:08am

Jake,

What you’re seeing is Aperture generating a new thumbnail from the RAW file. The first thing you see is the camera-generated JPG, which is shown first (for speed and efficiency), which is then replaced by Aperture’s own render.

You can read up on exactly what happens on import, here: A Comprehensive Look at Thumbnails, Previews, and More in Aperture 3.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Jake McKee's picture
by Jake McKee
February 14, 2011 - 6:12am

Ah great, thanks! So am I just now noticing this or did I change a setting of some sort?

Thanks for the link pointer. I’ll check it out! So many things to learn. Mostly this is good, sometimes it’s a bit overwhelming :)

Jake

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 14, 2011 - 6:17am

Jake,

If you recently enabled “Use Embedded JPEG from camera when possible” [screenshot] then that’s what’s causing it to happen now. However I think that’s on my default, so it’s possible you just never noticed it.

If you find that you prefer the way the camera renders the preview than the way Aperture does (or if you just want to find out), set your camera to shoot RAW+JPEG and on import, choose to import RAW + JPEG Pairs as Both (Separate Masters) [screenshot] and compare the JPG to the RAW file.

If you decide you don’t like Aperture’s method, you can try to tweak the RAW decode settings to make it match what you get out of camera, and set that as the new default.

As far as overwhelming stuff to learn—that’s what we’re here for ;-)

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?