You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Import a aperture library file to existing Photos library #1
Lazze's picture
by Lazze
January 30, 2016 - 10:30pm

so, how do i export the whole aperture library in to an EXSISTING Photos library? I have used Photos for some time now, and i think its okei, i get all my pictures at al devices, so i was thinking, maybe i should import my aperture library also? I rly miss many off my pictures from aperture, i almost never open aperture anymore :(   When i try to Export the library file, it is “gray out”, i can’t select it… I can make a new library with my aperture library file, but is seems like i can import the who file!? and if i make a new library it will not sync with my iPad and iPhone. Is there any way i can export this to my existing library? or is this just another fuckup from apple?! sorry my english, its not my strongest language :)

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 2, 2016 - 7:34pm

Unfortunately you can't. There's currently (and I say currently because hopefully this will be addressed) no way to import an Aperture, iPhoto or even Photos library into an existing Photos library.

The common advice is to merge all Aperture and iPhoto libraries first using Aperture, then migrate that to Photos.

The only way to do this is using iCloud, so this requires some bandwidth and possibly a large iCloud account.

1. Sync your current Photos library with iCloud.
  2. Open your Aperture library, or whatever it is you want to merge, in Photos.
  3. In the Photos preferences, enable Use as System Photo Library. Only ONE library at a time can be the “System Photo Library”, so this will turn it off on your other library.
  4. Enable iCloud Photo Library in the iCloud tab in the Preferences.
  5. This will start syncing your current library with iCloud, and anything already in iCloud will sync back.

Some things to consider…

• This is a one-way trip. There is no undo, sort of deleting images from the library.
  • iCloud Photo Library does not sync projects, books, cards, calendars, or slideshows, so any of those in your first library will not appear in your merged library.

The alternative is to just wait and see if Apple adds this capability in a future release.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
February 4, 2016 - 6:13am

There is a 3rd party tool that can merge Photos libraries. PowerPhotos from Fat Cat Software got an update that adds the ability to merge Photos libraries. When it was first released it couldn’t merge but eventually the author either figured it out or Apple changed something to make it possible.

It has a free trial so you can check it out without risk. It cost $29.95 for a new license or $14.95 to upgrade if you have their previous tool for iPhoto (iPhoto Library Manager 3). I haven’t used this tool so I’m not endorsing it - only providing the info.

Thomas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?