I started my iCPL in Jan 2015. It is now 104Gb/8000 pics. In a years time I will be needing to upgrade my iCloud storage plan.
So I am thinking I would like to make the existing one an ordinary Photos library, and start a new iCloud Photos Library.
If I start a new library now and make it the iCPL, it will merge with the existing iCPL. I would like it to replace the existing one in iCloud.
I could do it (I think) by:-
1. Make the existing one non-iCPL and rename it.
2. Create a new Photos lib and make it the iCloud system library.
3. The new (empty) library will upload and merge with the old one in iCloud, so it will now contain all 8000 photos from the original lib.
4. Delete all 8000 photos in the new one.
5. Start putting new photos in the now empty iCloud Photos library.
Is there a better way? Am I making it too difficult?
I can see what I described above taking long time to settle down across all devices, although I can avoid waiting the 30 days by deleting from the Recently Deleted folder.