You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
How to fix Offline HHD - Referenced Images Offline #1
Steve Jackson's picture
by Steve Jackson
September 16, 2012 - 10:25pm

I've taken the plunge and upgraded (via a clean install) to Mountain Lion. I'd been holding up after the rocky Aperture upgrade to v3.3 put the fear of God into me …

Following the clean install of the OS, I've installed A3 from my DVD, and upgraded it to A3.3.2. Once upgraded, I opened my A3.3.0 library. All my folders, projects, previews, books etc are there. I then saw the same problem I saw after my upgrade to A3.3.0 - my ~70k referenced images are showing as disconnected!!!!! Every preview shows the “the referenced image’s original is offline” badge.

All of my images are on my 'Macintosh HD'; there are no external drives involved.

If I right click on an image and “Locate Referenced Files”, the dialog has the correct path to the image … the file is where I expect it to be … but in the top left of the dialogue Aperture tells me that my 'Macintosh HD' is offline. If I click on that drive, the Verify and Mount buttons underneath it changes to greyed out.

If I import a new image, this works fine. If I select both the new image and any old one and “Locate Referenced Files”, the dialog reports the paths for both correctly, but shows two 'Macintosh HD' - one offline and one online.

Any ideas on why Aperture thinks the HHD I've booted with is offline? And more importantly, how to fix? I've tried:

> Joseph's trick of creating a new library and then importing the old library into it (took ~2 days).
> repairing permissions and rebuilding the library via Apertures CMD-OPT launch (~1d)
> verifying permissions on the HHD with Disk Utility
> Opening the library with iPhoto (images all shown and accessible … not sure if iPhoto thought them online or not, given that it does not do referenced images in the same way).

Yearning for the days of pre A3.3 stability

Steve

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 17, 2012 - 12:15am

Sounds to me like a permissions issue on the drive. Reboot with option key down and get into recovery mode, then run disk first aid on your boot drive.

Another thing to try is move one folder of images elsewhere on the drive and see if Aperture will then connect.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert Have you signed up for the ApertureExpert mailing list?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Steve Jackson's picture
by Steve Jackson
September 17, 2012 - 11:13pm

Thanks Joseph

Tried the disk first aid (I’d done this prior to my clean install of ML) and tried moving one folder of images … neither worked.

BUT – and this is the GREAT news – the May 23, 2010 fix from Jacques S at Versions with unavailable master file cannot be exported fixed it.

Maybe my clean install of ML caused the unique ID (UUID) of my ‘Macintosh HD’ to change? According to DiskUtility, it’s now ‘9C95D5C4-9479-39E9-A61A-D30CF0739C6D’. According to the database table from my Aperture Library RKVolume (as discussed by Jacques S), all of my images are on volume ‘18BC675F-E41E-34A5-B6D8-B397F496425C’, which is Offline!

So, I changed it to the correct UUID, changed its Offline state to Online, and hey presto, all good. I’ll never get my (seemingly unnecessary) two days of database repairing etc. back, but I’m sooooooo glad to have my library back!

Thanks Jacques S!

Steve

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 18, 2012 - 1:25am

Great news Steve, thanks for posting the update!

-Joseph @ApertureExpert Have you signed up for the ApertureExpert mailing list?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness