You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
how do i reference my pictures? #1
Steven Smart's picture
by Steven Smart
March 16, 2013 - 3:57pm

so my imac is filling up fast with pictures and i was told i can put all my pictures on an external drive and aperture will find them. Its called reference?

I don't understand the process of how I put my pictures in a back up drive and have Aperture find them when i want to process them or just view them? Is it as simple as when I import photos into aperture I just tell it to import to the back up drive and aperture will find them? or do i put them on the back up drive and somehow tell aperture to find them?

I have also been having issues with my current aperture library not finding pictures becasue i have deleted pictures here and there. So I exported everything from my perture library to a folder on the desktop and made a new library. Now I just want to know what do i do next? put all the picures on the back up or import them to aperture?

Milt Anglin's picture
by Milt Anglin
March 16, 2013 - 9:14pm

I put my Aperture Library on an external drive. You can use them from there and it frees up your main hard drive. By keeping the library managed you can also utilize Vaults as a backup. I keep my Vaults on a different external drive.

Milt

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
March 17, 2013 - 5:11am

Steven … take a look at this post and video from Joseph on using multiple Macs with Aperture … though it does not specifically address your question … he does cover how to move a managed library on a laptop to a referenced library for a desktop … If you want to do a similar transition with a current managed library to a referenced model would take the same steps.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?