You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
How to Create Previews to Show at 100% #1
Daniel Cox's picture
by Daniel Cox
April 25, 2012 - 8:55am

Does anyone know the process of getting previews to 100% BEFORE you try to look at them at 1:1/100%? Currently when I look at an image via the loop or Zoom key, the image needs rendering (the spinning gear) for 3-5 seconds or longer before the pixelization disappears and the image comes up to a 100% view.

I came from Lightroom over to Aperture and in Lightroom we have the ability to select some or all images and tell Lightroom to create 100% Previews. This takes time and was something I would do after each import. Generally I would leave my computer and go do something else. Once the Previews were made, hitting the (Z)oom key would instantaneously show the image at 100%. Being able to do this makes viewing images so much quicker.

I'm certain something like this must be part of Aperture's capabilities but I can't find it. Any help out there?

Daniel J. Cox

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 25, 2012 - 11:08am

Daniel,

Previews are enabled by default in Aperture, however by default at 50% size. You can change that in the Preferences [screenshot].

If previews are already generated, you’ll need to regenerate them. Best way is to delete them and let Aperture rebuild from menu Photos > Delete Previews.

As an aside, you should probably read this: A Comprehensive Look at Thumbnails, Previews, and More in Aperture 3. If you’re going to be generating full size previews, you may want to manage those manually so your library doesn’t get excessively and unnecessarily large.

You can work in Quick Preview mode, meaning you are only viewing the Previews and the file will NOT draw from the RAW. To enable this, go to menu View > Quick Preview or click this icon in the Viewer: [screenshot].

Finally, before you go doing this to your entire Library, test it out on a project and see if you get the speed jump you’re looking for. Slower systems can take just as long to read a large JPG as they can to decode a RAW file.

good luck,

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?