You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
How Are You Removing Color Noise in Aperture? #1
Splinter's picture
by Splinter
June 22, 2012 - 9:30pm

Hey guys, I was just wondering how you are removing colour noise in Aperture. Normal noise is obviously handled by the noise module, but that module doesn't deal with colour noise. Lightroom does a really good job at removing colour noise easily, is there a way to do this in Aperture itself? or do you guys use a third party plug-in, and if so what do you find works well and efficiently from a work-flow perspective.
Cheers!

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 22, 2012 - 11:34pm

I can only suggest a way to it in PS using the color mode LAB.

Blur the heck out of the a and b channels and you can sharpen the L if you like. Convert back to RGB.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
June 22, 2012 - 11:47pm

I find, on properly exposed higher ISO images, there seems to be little to no difference concerning color noise with my Nikon NEF files between Ap3 and Lr … though I would agree, that Lightroom does handle removing color noise with mostly using the default settings and luminance noise can be handled quite well and seems to have better results on marginal images than Aperture … of course that could have more to do with how the cameras are characterizing color/luminance noise …

That said, on troublesome images I use either Noise Ninja or Topaz DeNoise … mostly the latter as we are still waiting for NN to come out with a 64 bit version ….

Charles Putnam's picture
by Charles Putnam
June 22, 2012 - 11:47pm

I have both Neat Image and Nik’s Define. Both work well with Aperture.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
June 23, 2012 - 12:03am

I used the Nik dFine plug-in trial for a month but ended up with the Topaz plug-in because I bought the Topaz suite which is cheaper.

If I had a choice and money was no object, I’d go with Nik dFine. But the Topaz plug-in works fine and is less expensive.

Thomas

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
June 23, 2012 - 12:06am

I sort of mentioned it but I should emphasize most of the noise plug-ins have 30 day free trials so try them and see what you like.

Thomas

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 23, 2012 - 1:58am

Another option I’ve used that doesn’t work with every image, but is definitely worth a try, is the Color adjustment brick.

Zoom in super close and sample the color of one of the pixels of noise. Restrict the range of the Color adjustment to be very limited, so it’s only affecting that precise color, and then desaturate that color. You will need to sample a few different color pixels, but it actually can work very very well. If your image happens to have other colors in that range then this won’t work (although you could try to brush the effect away if its only in a few areas), but the colors that show up as noise are pretty specific and not something you see in most scenes on their own.

I outlined this in the Live Training video on the Color brick; “Live Training Session 012: Adjustments; Color and B&W.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Splinter's picture
by Splinter
June 23, 2012 - 7:57am

Thanks for all your replies so far. Im sure Apple will add colour noise reduction at some point, i would think the next major version would have to have it, as its really so easy and handy to do it in LR. Having said that i will try the various plug-ins and solutions mentioned here as an interim solution.
Thanks again for all your replies.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness