You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hot Pixel after Aperture update 3.1.2 on Canon 50D #1
art wessex's picture
by art wessex
May 26, 2011 - 9:06pm

Hi, I am a long-time Aperture user and have a Canon 50D. I updated Aperture to version 3.1.2 (from 3.1.1) on 4/16. Starting on that date, all of my new raw photos began showing a hot pixel (green bright dot) towards the bottom centre of the photo. Lightroom does not have this problem and I blame the update because I do not see this artifact on photos that are older than 4.16.

Is there anything I can do (including version rollback, which I don't know how to do)?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 27, 2011 - 1:16am

Art,

Very curious. Let’s test the theory first—choose a photo that is pre 4/16, that you don’t particularly care about, and choose to reprocess the master from the menu Photos > Reprocess Masters…. If it refuses to because it’s already up-to-date, then I think we’re looking at a different issue. If it does and the green dot shows up, then we know we’re on the right track.

The green dot is usually a stuck pixel on the sensor, but I believe that the RAW decode is designed to look for and eliminate those. I’m not 100% sure about that, but I think that’s the case.

Anyway, one step at a time.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

art wessex's picture
by art wessex
May 27, 2011 - 5:04am

Thanks for your reply. After digging through the library a bit more, I found examples of such a dot on files that are older than 4/16 (they were just not as prominent). I’m sending the unit in for cleaning and hopefully that will address the issue.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 27, 2011 - 6:44am

Art,

Good stuff. In the meantime, it should be easy to fix on existing photos. Be sure to zoom in to 100% and using the Retouch tool (“x” is the keyboard shortcut) [screenshot] make the circle just barely bigger than the spot, opacity at 1 (full) and you should be able to heal it in one click [screenshot].

Then, lift and stamp that across all the images that have the green dot, and you should be good to go! Unless that dot happens to land just on a line, odds are this simple fix will fix ‘em all up very very well.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Andreas Wachter's picture
by Andreas Wachter
December 5, 2011 - 11:02am

This is in fact an artifact of Aperture 3.1.2: I have the same problem. Older photos which I imported into Aperture summer 2010 did show very faint hot pixels but when I hit the “reprocess” button, they show up very strong (like they do on all photos which I imported into Aperture 3.1.2). So there is definitely something wrong with Aperture 3.1.2.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 6, 2011 - 10:18am

Andreas,

This is an older post relating to Aperture 3.1.2, but the current version is 3.2.1. Can you confirm where you are seeing this?

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?