You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hard drive filled up, what now? #1
Roger Musser's picture
by Roger Musser
December 21, 2011 - 11:22am

Hi,
I have a MacBook Pro and an iMac, both with hard drives that are nearly filled up.
I have been using Aperture 3 with Managed Files. This has worked out fine until my internal hard drive got filled up. I recently imported images as “Referenced” but it's still using up space on my MacBook Pro.

When I import, Under “Aperture Library” and “Store Files:” I selected a folder on an external hard drive.

Should I click the “Move files” or the “Copy files” radio button?

Would converting all my files from Managed to Referenced free up some of my internal hard drive space?

Where do I learn about this?

Thanks,
Roger

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 25, 2011 - 6:09pm

Thanks Tom, I really appreciate that ;-)

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
December 21, 2011 - 2:56pm

Roger,

Changing from a Managed library on your internal drive to a Referenced library on your internal drive with the Masters on the external would save space. But keep in mind that the library itself, even if the Masters are separate, will take up space due to thumbnails and preview images stored there.

To learn how to do it, I would suggest the least expensive and easy way is to buy the Live Training sessions 001 and 002. They are only $2 EA and available here: http://www.apertureexpert.com/livetraining-catalog/

I’ve watched all the live training even though I have a few years of experience with Aperture and I’m always amazed at the new things I learn from them.

Another option is the complete training “Work Like a Pro Photographer in Aperture 3” available here: http://www.apertureexpert.com/training/

I’ve watched all the Aperture training on Lynda.com and KelbyTraining.com and I would recommend the ApertureExpert training above as my favorite.

Tom

Thomas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?