You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
good idea to rebuild library? #1
stump4545's picture
by stump4545
January 24, 2013 - 5:59am

is it a good idea to rebuild your aperture library from time to time?

will it speed things up or prevent crashes or only rebuild when necessary?

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
January 24, 2013 - 8:14am

I think its ok to rebuild the lib now and then or at least it should be ok. Why else would they give us this tool. On the other hand…. I rebuilt mine the other day and when if finished I looked in my smartAlbum for offline images and images were now off line or missing. In that Smart album I had one image before the Rebuild and now there are half a dozen? I reconnected them and all is well but I now cant help but think maybe the rebuild caused them to be disconnected and if thats so, what else in the metadata is now wrong? I will do a rebuilds in the future but with a careful eye for problems and a good backup available.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

stump4545's picture
by stump4545
January 24, 2013 - 10:40am

does rebuilding a library speed things up or help with crashing?

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
January 24, 2013 - 11:49pm

There are lots of reasons AP will crash and yes a corrupted Lib can cause a crash. So If you are having crashing issues you can try all three steps of the AP Repair and Rebuild. If it doesnt fix the crashing look for other reasons before doing Rebuild again. Rebuild I think is good if your lib is slightly mixed up or prior to a new major version of AP you want to install.

Would <3 to read others opinions on the over use of Rebuild.

Oh if you are still crashing make a new post and mention your machine,
Ram, HD space available for use, etc

Cheers

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness