You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Geotagging in Aperture 3 #1
Gray Fox's picture
by Gray Fox
March 4, 2010 - 3:21pm

Joseph mentioned on TWIP last week that Aperture can somehow tie to GPS log files and somehow tie the photos to the positions in the log. I purchased an AMOD, created the position log file, but can not figure out how to use Aperture to tie pictures to locations.

Joseph are you following the forum, can you ( or anybody else) provide some specifics.
Thanks in advance.

Nick's picture
by Nick
March 5, 2010 - 9:42pm

Larry this video should help http://vimeo.com/9932201

All the best,

Nick

Gray Fox's picture
by Gray Fox
March 6, 2010 - 1:45pm

The following is the email thread that followed my initial post of two days ago regarding Geotagging with Aperture. I want to take this opportunity to once again thank Joseph for taking the time to help. Also, thanks to others who have offered help. Still a work in progress, but I feel that I am getting close.

thanks
-Joseph

Joseph,

Thank you for taking the time to help. I am working with Aperture 3.01 and have not had the Dialog Box that you describe pop-up when I drop a picture on the Geo-Track…maybe a JPG vs Raw thing or I’m not dropping it on the right part of the track. I will play with it more this weekend to see if I am doing something different than you describe. I will also move these messages to the Forum as you suggested. I am sure with the recent interest in Geotagging that others will benefit from this thread.

Larry

—– Original Message —–

Larry,

OK… it’ll probably be next week before I can do a post, but here’s my experience with a tracker (I have one, but it’s an older device—still, it does the same thing).

I purposely shot an identifiable location (a street corner where I could see the street signs in the photo) at the start of my trip. I then continued to shoot street signs along the way to see what would happen.

I imported the photos and the GPS log, and zoomed into that first location (the street corner) and grabbed that photo and dragged it onto the GPS path at that exact point. Aperture then asked if I wanted to pin the rest of the photos along that path, and I said yes… and everything else fell perfectly into place! I scanned through to the other street sign photos and sure enough, they were all accurate.

That’s not what you’re seeing?

-Joseph

On Mar 4, 2010, at 20:27, Larry Seamer wrote:

> Hi Joseph,
>
> First, thanks for your support of Aperture with ‘Aperture Expert’. It’s great to see energy return to that product again; both from within and from outside of Apple.
>
> Regarding your request, this is the link to to Amod. www.amod.com.tw
>
> I think it was Ron Brinkman that suggested the AMOD device in the same TWIP Podcast last week.
>
> That gadget seems to be working fine. It creates a GeoTrack within Aperture when I select ‘Import GPS Track’. Maybe I am expecting too much, But I can’t find any mechanism within Aperture to tie the photos to positions on the track short of manually positioning each one individually.
>
> Thank you again for whatever help you can provide.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Larry
> Phusionart.com
>
>
> On Mar 3, 2010, at 10:34 PM, Joseph @ApertureExpert wrote:
>
>> OK I’ll post instructions on that soon. Send me more info on the AMOD (a link or something) OK?
>>
>> thanks

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 8, 2010 - 5:35am

Hey guys,

I’ll do a proper write-up on this after WPPI. I will shoot during the drive home from Vegas and have the GPS on the whole way, and try to make a good track to write the tutorial on.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Gray Fox's picture
by Gray Fox
March 9, 2010 - 12:13pm

Hi all,

Joseph and Nick both provided valuable information. Seeing the video at http://vimeo.com/9932201
really sealed the deal . I have now had two successful geotagging attempts and am comfortable that I can use the feature. IMHO it is one of the most useful new features in Aperture 3.

I like to spend the odd weekend morning driving along the California coast near Pt Reyes, shooting pictures as I find small coves, beaches, et al. Geotagging will now be a real asset when I want to return to a location.

Thank you all.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness