You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Focus Stacking Plugin? #1
William Campbell's picture
by William Campbell
May 15, 2013 - 2:45am

Does anyone know of an Aperture plugin (or any non-Photoshop stand alone app) that automates focus stacking? I realize it could be done manually in any external editor or plugin that provides layers. But sometimes the complexity of an image benefits from an software solution.

Thanks.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
May 15, 2013 - 2:56am

OnOne Software’s Perfect Layers can supposedly do focus stacking. I haven’t used it.

If you google “focus stacking Aperture plugin” you might find some other options.

Thomas

by William Campbell
May 15, 2013 - 3:02am

I did the search but no clear results. I saw Perfect Layers in the results, but I found no mention on their site or in their docs. So, I suspect they were suggesting focus stacking was possible “if you do it manually.”

by Thomas Emmerich
May 15, 2013 - 3:08am

This macnn article states “The software offers advanced tools like exposure and texture blending, multiple-light blending, focus stacking…”

To me that means some type of automated way to do focus stacking. But like I stated earlier, I haven’t tried it.

Thomas

by William Campbell
May 15, 2013 - 3:09am

Thanks. I’ll have to take a closer look!

by Thomas Emmerich
May 15, 2013 - 3:15am

They have a 30 day free fully functional trial. Nothing to lose but your time.

Check their download page.

Thomas

by William Campbell
May 15, 2013 - 3:48am

I own the Perfect Suite but cannot find anything in their manuals or training videos that suggests an “automated” focus stacking feature. I believe they might mention the term but only to suggest that “you” could do the selection, not that the software does it for you. Photoshop does a nice job at it, but so far it appears only PS does the selection work for you. However, I’d love to hear that someone knows of an alternative.

Mike Boening's picture
by Mike Boening
May 24, 2013 - 10:41pm

You might want to try this software, Helicon. I haven’t used it but found a few articles on it on the web. http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconsoft-products/helicon-focus/

by William Campbell
May 25, 2013 - 1:13am

Mike, thanks for the lead. Helicon looks very promising. They have a 30-day trial which I will take advantage of sooner or later. I was a little disappointed that they require a yearly licenses, but $30/yr. for the Lite version won’t break the bank. Thanks again.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness