You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Focal length breakdown to specific lengths #1
Argun Tekant's picture
by Argun Tekant
October 30, 2012 - 3:09am

One thing that seems to have changed in 1.2 is when I am looking at Lens Statistics, I am only seeing ranges.

This becomes a problem when using legacy manual lenses that don't report specific names, but in EXIF only show as M Lens, or A Lens (these are for Pentax cameras). So, all my old manual lenses show as “M Lens”, and when I drill down, all I get is a range. For example, the range: 24-50 encompasses 4 lenses (24, 28, 35, 50) for me and makes the report practically useless.

A worse example is another series of lenses which show as a single range 24-600.

What can I do to drill down to specific focal lengths instead of a range?

If this is how it is in 1.2, I think it is not a good way to do a breakdown. Apertures for example still show as individual entries, not ranges.

A better way to fix this would be to include a way to mark specific combinations as separate lenses. e.g. M Lens 24mm is one entry and M Lens 28mm is another; but I think that is a whole different feature. In the meantime getting back the specific lengths rather than ranges would do the job.

Stig Bordsenius's picture
by Stig Bordsenius
October 30, 2012 - 5:31pm

Hi

I’m not sure if I fully understand your problem.
Is is that many old lenses end up being treate as one single lens?

Would it help if it was possible to choose if you wanted to see the focal length as groups or as a list where all focal lengths are shown, like in the older versions of AI?

Currently if you click on the right graph-icon when focal-lengths are shown you will get a broader range than the one initially shown ,but perhaps this is not enough?

stig

Argun Tekant's picture
by Argun Tekant
October 30, 2012 - 11:35pm

Yes, you fully understand the problem. Without unique identifying strings for the lenses they all being treated as a single lens.

The old way of showing focal lengths individually worked quite fine.
The example ranges I gave was from the right graph-icon already.

Stig Bordsenius's picture
by Stig Bordsenius
October 31, 2012 - 12:06am

I understand the problem now. But with this sort of data most statistics would be pretty much useless as many lenses are presented as one by Aperture.

Can you change the lens-data in aperture? If that is possible Aperture Inspector will analyze everything correct. I’ve never tried to change the exif-data manually, so I do not know how to go about this..

Argun Tekant's picture
by Argun Tekant
October 31, 2012 - 12:31am

There is no way to change the lens data in Aperture, AFAIK. And I have looked.
It probably is possible externally, but that would be more trouble than it’s worth.

If the unique focal lengths are shown, the stats are quite useful as long as one does not have more than one lens of the same focal length. In many cases the focal length is the only (and adequate) identifier of a legacy lens.

As I said, the way it was before worked quite fine.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?