You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Finding RAW files when importing JPEG as Master? #1
Debbie's picture
by Debbie
June 25, 2011 - 6:15am

Hi!

I'm trying to figure out the best workflow for me in A3. I only shoot RAW+JPEG occasionally because I'm a hobbyist and mostly shoot photos for digital scrapbooking, so JPEGs are almost always good enough for my needs. But, in my continuing quest to learn more about photo editing and A3 I like to dabble with RAW once in awhile, so I go off Auto (Canon S95) and shoot in RAW+JPEG.

When importing I was separating the files because I was afraid I'd lose one of them if I only chose one as the Master. But, I'd really like to import with just JPEG as Master and am wondering where the RAW file hides and is there a keyboard shortcut to bring it up for editing? I'm sure the answer is simple, but even though I've learned a lot here, I'm still trying to figure out a lot too, especially what works for my needs as a non-professional.

What led me here to ask this question is last night when trying to cull out dups I was going through my photos and using 9 to reject any dups I saw, then to be safe I was going into the Rejects smart album to be sure I really wanted to trash those files and found it full of RAW files. I had been rejecting all of my RAWs and keeping the JPEGs! Yikes! So, now I just want to see my JPEGs only as the Master and bring up my RAW files when I want to play with them. TIA!

~Debbie

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
June 25, 2011 - 2:19pm

I think I figured it out. Photos > Set RAW as Master or vice versa. I don’t see a keyboard shortcut so I’m assuming there isn’t one?

~Debbie

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
June 25, 2011 - 5:15pm

Hi Debbie,

Glad you have found it. As you have mentioned there is no default shortcut for this.

Notice the key word default.

If you go to Aperture > Commands > Customise this will allow you to set keyboard shortcut:

Click here to see the screen shot

I would embed the image in this post but I am not too sure how, I can not seem to get the html code to work

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 26, 2011 - 11:31am

Thanks for posting the answer, Chris, along with a screenshot. Unfortunately you can’t embed pictures in the forum posts. That’s why all my screenshots are code like this [screenshot] — which you did figure out.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
June 26, 2011 - 12:16pm

Thanks, Chris! I forgot I could customize my own keyboard shortcuts. Very handy! :)

~Debbie

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?