You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Exporting Originals vs Versions? #1
Debbie's picture
by Debbie
April 10, 2015 - 12:16am

Hi! I recently exported my Aperture Library Project by Project to an EHD. I chose to export Versions, but now I’m wondering if I should have exported the Originals instead? Is there any way to export both at once? What do I do if I want a copy of my Managed Library in Finder on an EHD and want all of the photos, both Originals and Versions? This is confusing to me. I’m playing it safe for when I update to the Photos app. I want to be sure I have my whole library on an EHD in case anything goes wrong (though I have several other backups inc Vaults, TM, Backblaze, Flickr, etc.), but also just because I want options other than having only a managed library in Aperture or Photos. 

And one other quick question about referenced files. How do I find a referenced file in my Aperture Library? I only upload as a managed library, but suddenly for some reason when I’m trying to run a Vault backup I’m getting a message that 6 files couldn’t be backed up in Vaults because they’re referenced. I have no idea how that happened or how to find them so I can delete them. I tried using a Smart Album, but nothing appeared. This is very weird.

TIA!

~Debbie

Robin Clark's picture
by Robin Clark
April 10, 2015 - 5:28pm

Hi Debbie. If you create a smart album (in the ALBUMS section) and make it look at the whole library and then add a File Status selection and choose referenced that will find all referenced files in your library Regards Robin

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
April 10, 2015 - 11:06pm

Thank you, Robin! Unfortunately, that’s the first thing I tried with no luck. It came up blank. This is a weird situation. I’ve run a vault backup several times now and it keeps coming up with that message. I’m just going to have to ignore it I guess.

~Debbie

Robin Clark's picture
by Robin Clark
April 10, 2015 - 11:25pm

I’ve just imported one image as referenced and re created the smart album and it shows 1 referenced and 20k managed.  I deleted the image and it showed zero referenced.  Just trying to prove to myself that it works!

Have you tried deliberately adding one referenced and seeing if the count goes up to 7?

Not sure if that proves anything?

Have you tried repairing permissions and/or rebuilding the library - it seems an obvious next step

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
April 10, 2015 - 11:44pm

I haven’t tried any of those things. I guess I should. I’ll post here if I have any luck. Thanks again!

~Debbie

Robin Clark's picture
by Robin Clark
April 10, 2015 - 11:29pm

Debbie

Have you got any files in Aperture trash - I don’t thing the smart albums check trash but as it’s an integral part of the library I guess the vault will back it up.  That might explain your findings.

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
April 11, 2015 - 2:03am

Robin,

No, my trash is empty. I tried the Smart Album again and it was still empty. I think I’ll run the Vault backup again to see what exactly the message is that comes up. 

~Debbie

jd7000's picture
by jd7000
April 15, 2015 - 6:12am

Hi, Debbie,

oI exported both. Originals, same file format, and versions.

Greater than 3 star versions that were not JPEG originals, I exported as 16 bit TIFFS. Three stars or less or all versions with JPEG originals, I exported as JPEGs.

It’s a process that takes some time. And you still have access if you need to do more, so take your time. Try some things and go back and re-do if needed.

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
April 15, 2015 - 9:47am

Thank you jd7000 and Robin! I was able to get back to square one finally with my whole library managed. I’m not sure what I’ll do next. I’m just an amateur hobbyist, and I only shoot with iPhone now. I thought the new Photos app would be perfect for me, but I’m just not liking it yet. I think I’ll stick with Aperture for awhile and see what the future holds. 

~Debbie

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness