You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Exporting a full size Raw File from Aperture #1
Erling Larson's picture
by Erling Larson
July 27, 2012 - 12:33pm

I always shoot in Raw and have been asked to export a full sized Raw file for a friend so they can “work on an image” When I have exported files previously to the desktop, to a USB drive or to a DVD I think I am only exporting an original sized JPEG file. Is there an easy way to export a Raw file or should I just give him my CF card. Thanks.

Erling Larson III

Craig Andrews's picture
by Craig Andrews
July 27, 2012 - 1:14pm

Just highlight the file, hit Shift-Command-S (the letter S) and that will allow you to export your raw file to wherever you wish (folder, external HD etc. Then just attach the file to an e-mail and send it. Depending on your internet, e-mailing a large file like that could take some time. You wouldn’t be lucky enough to have fiber op would you? I might be incorrect, but I don’t think you can e-mail a Raw file (Nef Master) directly from Aperture.

I'd much rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 27, 2012 - 4:23pm

Command-Shift-S is the command for Export Original (Master), which will do what you describe. However, if you’ve made any edits to a file, then those won’t be saved on export. Also, if you’ve made any metadata changes those won’t automatically be written to the RAW file. You have the option to “Include IPTC” or write it to a second file when you export, which can be set using the last dropdown menu.

Alternatively, if you’ve made adjustments and you’d like to share those, without any loss to photo quality, you can “Export Version” (like normal) and change the preset to be a 16-bit TIFF or PSD file. No, it won’t be quite the same as the original RAW file, but this is a often a good compromise if you’ve already made edits you’d like the other person to see and they need room to edit the file as well.

Erling Larson's picture
by Erling Larson
August 5, 2012 - 1:03am

I really appreciate your advice. Your answers very clearly told me what I needed to know.

Erling Larson III

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness