You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Exporting files for high res printing #1
Andy Sillett's picture
by Andy Sillett
June 23, 2014 - 1:59pm

Hi,

I’ve spent the morning looking for an answer to this question, but have not fully understood any of the responses, so I wonder if anyone can help answer this question:

How do I send a client an edited raw file from Aperture so that it can be printed at max resolution at A0 size (big)?

I shoot in raw, edit in Aperture and Photoshop Elements. The resulting jpeg file sizes are compressed (2MB from 22MB) but the pixel size is the same.

Should I have re-imported the edited file into Aperture from Photoshop Elements as a TIFF rather than jpeg?

Should I export the compressed, edited jpeg as a TIFF

Should I alter the dpi from 72 to 300?

Can I increase the quality slider on the Tiff from 10 to 12? 

Is a TIFF quality 10 better than a JPEG quality 12?

I’m confused!

Thanks in advance,

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 23, 2014 - 7:03pm

Most people get confused by the size and dpi relationship.  I don’t try to teach them I ask what size in inches and what dpi do they want.  Then in PS I re-size  the image and make sure the file says 300 dpi at x inches by x inches.  Save it as a tif or psd at 8bit at that point and deliver a dvd or thumb drive of the image.   If someone wants hi rez they are specifically looking for the magical  300dpi in the file info, even if they don’t need it, (billboard).  You could jpg the image but the uninformed will think its lower quality,  and if they are going to make changes to the file leave it as tif.  good luck    A0 is like 33”x44”, yeah Big!

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?