You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Error Importing Library #1
john's picture
by john
February 7, 2015 - 2:30pm

Hi, I split my library into a set of libraries based on year.  I have in total around 70,000 photos in 14 libraries.  Its been about a year that I have maintained this format. The last upgrade to Aperture seems to have messed up my libraries. 

At this point, I am trying to create one Aperture library with all the photos. 

I created a new library and started importing each existing one into it.  However, I am getting an error “The library could not be imported because it is from an out of date version of Aperture 3. Please upgrade…”.  If I open Aperture and try switching to one of these libraries that I cannot open from within Aperture, I get the message, “The selected library is from an older version of Aperture and requires a relaunch to switch”.  When I switch it does not offer to upgrade.  

I reinstalled iPhoto and tried switching to one of my libraries and received the message that the library needs to be upgraded first in Aperture.  This upgrade does not occur as I have detailed in this message.

I’ve read Apple’s support pages, I have search the internet and this forum.  Nothing I have done has solved my issue. I’ve rebuilt, repaired the libraries and repaired permissions for example.  The last recourse I have is to relocate my originals.  I’m using that has a last resort. I’m afraid I will lose my versions and other settings in the process.

Any ideas on how to fix this import error?

Thank you in advance.

john's picture
by john
February 9, 2015 - 9:46pm

I found the culprit…    The libraries are on an external drive, which I had run repair permissions but that had not corrected the issue.  Next I went and looked in The Information tab for the libraries and once I unlocked the “Sharing & Permissions” section, i set my userid as the owner.  Once ownership was updated the library could be merged.  I’m not sure how ownership was changed from my ID as I am the only user.  Anyways, fixing the ownership corrected the error.

Paul Evans's picture
by Paul Evans
February 10, 2015 - 9:36am

Hi John

I have recently experienced similar problems whilst tinkering with my library.
Like you one of my libraries had had the ownership changed, don’t ask me why or how but it was changed.

I eventually exported projects as a library and then imported them into a new better organised library. All has been good except for one project which has a number of “Unsupported file format” messages. However not every image in this project displays the dreaded “Unsupported” message. I’ve done repair and permissions, alas no luck. I’ve given up.
I suspect the problem likes somewhere in the fact that the folder projects were on an older MAC OS and older version of Aperture. Like you I kept getting warnings to upgrade from the older version.

I’m going to stick with Aperture 3 for a while longer. Even with these problems I still think  for me, its better than Lightroom.

Paul

john's picture
by john
February 10, 2015 - 3:02pm

Hi Paul,

there is a thread on that particular message… have you read though it and tried their fixes?

https://thephotosexpert.com/tips/2013/7/19/unsupported-image-format-in-a…

BTW, I’ve found an easier solution that setting my userid as owner, since my libraries are on an external drive, I can display the info on that drive and select the checkbox to ignore ownership for that external drive.  This would have fixed my issue as well.

john's picture
by john
February 11, 2015 - 3:14pm

A final note…. 

To resolve the merge issue I did the following.. 

1. Repaired permissions
  2. Either changing the ownership of the library or if its on an external drive (as mine were) checking the checkbox on the drive’s Info tab for ‘Ignoring Ownership…” helped fix the issue preventing me from merging the libraries.
  3. See note below this list for details of what happened before step 4
  4. Opened the library and fixed the broken path to the vault for that specific library
  5. Closed Aperture
  6. Double-clicked on library to open it (received upgrade prompt and clicked upgrade)
  7. Received the error dialog screen which required me to use Cmd+Opt keys to repair the library
  8. Repaired the library
  9. Double-clicked on library and updated vault

At this point, I was able to merge all my separate Aperture libraries into one new library.  I thought I was done.  As I no longer received the message that I had to upgrade the library before merging.  So I thought my libraries were in an ‘upgraded’ state.

Today, as part of my backup process and archival of the Aperture libraries (as I am moving to Photos)… I went into the original libraries and updated the vaults for them.  Upon starting this process, I saw that the connection to my vaults in each library were broken.  I updated the path to the vault.  After the update path step was done, I could not see the vault to have it updated.  I closed the library and when I double-clicked on the library to open it, I was presented with the upgrade screen.  So, all along my library was not upgraded and it was due to a combination of missing vault path and the ownership of the library.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?