You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Epson Scanner Software Compatibility #1
Dave Brown's picture
by Dave Brown
December 25, 2012 - 1:48am

Are there any Epson Scan users out there that are connected and working with a Macbook Pro?
I have Epsons latest version for Mac OS and can not find any other resource to get it to function with my Macbook. I am still using OS X 6.8. The program won't even start from the applications in finder.

Thanks.

Charles Putnam's picture
by Charles Putnam
December 25, 2012 - 2:39am

Which Epson scanner do you have? If it’s an older one, then it’s probably using the Epson scan software that needs Rosetta to run.

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
December 25, 2012 - 4:21am

Try using Image Capture (found in your Applications folder) it is installed by default with OS X it may have fewer, less graceful controls, but does a pretty good job of getting a good scan … also make sure you have all the latest OS X updates for Epson scanners installed … many of the OS X drivers were updated considerably over the past two years … you can check Software Update or the Apple Support site for any available downloads … often the ones available through Apple can be less troublesome than those found on the Epson site …

Additionally … if, like Charles offered, you discover you need Rosetta for an older scanner, it is not installed by default and can be found on the Snow Leopard install DVD.

vidpixarts@gmail.com's picture
by vidpixarts@gmail.com
December 25, 2012 - 5:38am

David: I use a pretty old Epson 4180. Used it with windows xppro before the Mac. All the Epson “apps” that came with the scanner worked all the way through snow leopard. Maybe even through lion. ( just don’t remember). Now with mountain lion (10.8.2) most of the bundled apps don’t work. But Epson has updated drivers so it works with image capture. (Pretty sure that is the scanning engine in the background now for this scanner). A little clunky in that I miss some of the bundled functions, but it does the job. I don’t do a lot if scanning. Like so many others I am only trying to gather family material from film. It does work with mountain lion and it is pretty old scanner.

vidpixarts@gmail.com's picture
by vidpixarts@gmail.com
December 25, 2012 - 5:43am

David: one more thing. I don’t have to run image capture independently. I select scanner from PREFERENCES. Then you will have option tonOPEN SCANNER in preferences. And then you get the scan dialog and options right there.

Dave Brown's picture
by Dave Brown
December 27, 2012 - 1:46am

Hello all,

Thanks for all of the replies. I am using a 4490 scanner. My OS is 10.6.8, so it should work. I was able to acquire a 72 dpi scan using the image acquisition app on the Macbook. Scanning directly into Aperture with anything more than 100 dpi resulted in a black square in a project named “Image Scans” The basic acquisition app does not have much in the way of production tools as opposed to the Epson Scan app that comes from epson. I believe the Epson Scan version that I started with was 3.1, I then downloaded from the Epson site 3.8. The installation process took extremely long, 45 minutes, with the result that the new version would not start either?

I am not sure if this is related but my Macbook/Aperture combination have a high degree of reluctance toward working with large files. I have used CS 3-5 for several years on my PC’s so I am accustomed to having 500 plus mb files in my work flow. On the few occasions that I have tried to produce images from high res scans with the Macbook and Aperture, it has been an ordeal of many crashes and pin wheel of death freezes.

Thanks again.

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
December 27, 2012 - 5:43pm

Dave

I use Epson Scan with 10.8.2 and a 4990 and have used it for years. Epson’s website doesn’t offer it for 10.8, but I downloaded the 10.6.x version and installed it manually after I reinstalled the OS recently. It certainly works with a late 2011 MacBook Air - I do have to launch it manually and it doesn’t keep the Air awake so it needs to be left on power when the scan is going to take a few minutes.

David

d.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness