You are here

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dodge Brush Glitch? #1
mikesteelman's picture
by mikesteelman
July 12, 2011 - 5:22pm

Hey everyone, trying my best to find the answer for this but getting lost out there.

Does anyone have any info for me on a possible dodge brush glitch? Seems that when I edit an image, particularly with a bright or overexposed background, and use the dodge brush, the preview looks fine but when viewed at full screen or after exported there is what seems to be blown out “pixelation” in random parts of the picture. I've narrowed it down (so I think) to the dodge brush because when I untick the dodge brush adjustment, the problem is gone. But I'd love to be able to use the brush. Help?

Thanks!
-Mike

mike

mikesteelman's picture
by mikesteelman
July 21, 2011 - 6:25am

Hi Joseph, Thanks so much for your help.

1. If I disable all other adjustments, it’s still a problem.
2. Looking at it in mask mode, the pixelation is not there.

Interesting to note, when I apply the dodge it usually doesn’t show until I change view mode or export, and in which case the final jpeg has the problem.

How do I attach a screenshot to show what it looks like?
Thanks!

mike

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 21, 2011 - 6:36am

Mike,

You can’t attach a screenshot (still waiting for Squarespace to update these forums!), but if you can post it anywhere, just add the link to it in your reply. If you can’t host it, drop it into my DROP BOX (under the MORE menu, above) and be sure to follow the directions there. I’ll then add the link to your next post.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

mikesteelman's picture
by mikesteelman
July 21, 2011 - 6:41am

thanks. Just uploaded it to your dropbox. What are your thoughts?

Shot 1

Shot 2

mike

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 21, 2011 - 6:48am

Mike,

I’ve seen something like this before but am not totally sure why.

Toggle Highlight Hot & Cold Areas on and off and see if the blown out areas correspond with the markings on the photos. Then try reducing the overall brightness of the image so the blown highlights are gone. Even if it’s not an ideal looking image, just test it out.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

mikesteelman's picture
by mikesteelman
July 21, 2011 - 6:54am

the blown out areas per “hot and cold areas” are not red, indicating that they aren’t blown out. The section of problem is actually outlined as not blown out, and I can see the shape of it.

Changing the brightness in varying places, all the way down, results in no change.

mike

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 21, 2011 - 7:08am

Mike,

You can see the shape of the blown-out area when in Hot & Cold?

1. Can you replicate this on any other images?
2. Can you post a project with these two photos in the dropbox for me to grab?

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

mikesteelman's picture
by mikesteelman
July 21, 2011 - 7:16am

1. yes, and I uploaded another screenshot to ya with the hot/cold areas and shape shown.

2. sure thing.

mike

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 21, 2011 - 10:07am

Mike,

I’m officially at a loss. Do you have another camera you can test from? My current line of thinking is that it has to do with the RAW decode of the Nikon file. Any chance you have another Nikon you can try to reproduce yet?

Does this happen to you on ANY type of photo, or only the super blown out type that you showed me?

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 13, 2011 - 8:11am

Mike,

Haven’t seen this myself. Some things to look at…

1. If you disable Dodge, the problem goes away. What if you enable Dodge but disable every other adjustment… problem still there?

2. If you look at the mask, are you seeing any of the pixelation? Be sure to look at it as black and white (brush strokes: [screenshot])

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?