You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Do you use the Light Table in Aperture? #1
Steve Jackson's picture
by Steve Jackson
May 14, 2011 - 12:33pm

Does anyone use Aperture's Light Table feature? What for - just curious :-)?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 15, 2011 - 12:26am

Personally I almost never use it, but when I do, it’s to play with layouts and see what photos work best together, for example in trying out a book layout, or prints to hang on a wall, that kind of thing. That’s what it’s ultimately designed for—experimentation.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Dr.Bob's picture
by Dr.Bob
May 16, 2011 - 5:56pm

I also use it to try out how photo’s work together when designing a new book.

Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
May 17, 2011 - 3:33am

I uses the lighttable often, primarily to match colors/photostory/sizes and crops.
Neat feature, but not always stable. What i mean is if a lighttable is done fx today, going back to it in a week or two, the setup is not exactly the same.
But a feature i wouldnt miss.

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
June 28, 2011 - 3:16pm

I’m a digital scrapbooker so this sounds like a great feature to me. Does anyone know where I can find some good tutorials for learning how to use Light Table? Video tutorials would be the best, but I’ll take anything. TIA!

~Debbie

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 29, 2011 - 3:26am

Debbie,

I haven’t produced any yet I’m afraid; it’s just not a popular feature. I would recommend that you read the manual to at least get an idea of the functionality, and look up the keyboard shortcuts. I don’t know of any specific resources offhand for it.

If you have specific questions, of course feel free to post them here.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Ruud Hennequin's picture
by Ruud Hennequin
November 20, 2013 - 9:56pm

I am using it now following the lessons instructions of the (very good) book Aperture 3 by Dion Scoppettuolo.

It shows some very nice features of the light table I did not know yet (tried the light table out once, but quit because I could not see how to use it). So I want to use it more now.

However, there is one issue I have. When you enlarge a picture and view it e.g. by scale to fit, it looks as if it is in very low resolution, while it is not in the Viewer. This is probably a light table bug. Anyone has the same issue?

Ruud Hennequin
-----AperDutch---

Ruud Hennequin's picture
by Ruud Hennequin
November 21, 2013 - 10:06am

I think I have found a workaround for the ‘light table bug’, mentioned above.

If you get this situation, you can select the image(s) on the light table and regenerate the preview.

Option-click Menu => Photos => Generate Previews

(note: if you don’t use the Option key, you will get Menu => Photos => Update Previews and Aperture may say (unjust) that the preview is already up-to-date).

That solves the poor image quality look.

Ruud Hennequin
-----AperDutch---

Joanna Ceciliani's picture
by Joanna Ceciliani
November 13, 2014 - 4:27am

I use light table to arrange photos…  I arrange about 75 sometimes and I can’t figure out how to control the light table size.  If anyone knows, can you let me know?  Thank you.  Joanna

icebreak@comcast.net

Ceci

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness