You are here

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
"Do Not Import Duplicates" not working #1
Misty Prochaska's picture
by Misty Prochaska
June 10, 2011 - 6:27am

I have this box checked on import, but I am finding it doesn't work. Sometimes I will accidentally import images again that were not deleted off of my camera, and I would think that this feature would prevent this from happening. I am renaming the image on import, and also have the box checked to rename the master file, and I am wondering if this is why? The duplicate image ends up in Aperture with the same filename, so there should not be any reason why the program would not recognize it as a duplicate. Any ideas?

I am still struggling with the LR vs. Aperture decision. Please forgive me as I may need to ask several questions about problems I have been experiencing in Aperture- I generally prefer Aperture, but certain buggy behaviors are scaring me away.

Debbie's picture
by Debbie
June 10, 2011 - 7:04am

Misty, I’m having the same issues. I always have that box checked, but even with the same exact file name, Aperture wants to import the same images again. Not always, but sometimes. It’s frustrating. I know this feature can work when it wants to because it doesn’t show any of my iPhone photos that are already imported.

On the other hand, sometimes Aperture won’t show photos I still need to import. I know for certain they’e in the folder I have highlighted, but the folder appears empty in the Import window. I end up having to close Aperture and do a restart to make the photos appear. Sometimes more than once. Very strange.

I definitely agree it’s buggy.

~Debbie

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
June 10, 2011 - 11:01am

Misty,

Renaming on import does cause the “do not import duplicates” to not work. Aperture compares the names of the files on the memory card to the files in your library. If you rename on import, they will not match and Aperture doesn’t have a way to decide otherwise.

There’s some good Aperture import training in the two first live training videos Joseph made. All the videos are available here: http://www.apertureexpert.com/livetraining-catalog/.

I’ve watched all of them - either live which is free or via download later which is only US$2 EA. They are definitely worth it in my opinion. In fact I’m downloading Live Training Session 007 right now.

Tom

Thomas

Misty Prochaska's picture
by Misty Prochaska
June 10, 2011 - 11:38am

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking that the renaming on import was the issue. I actually did watch several videos, including the one here, related to import before I moved my iPhoto library over. I chose my import options carefully, but I have been worried that I have made some sort of error in choosing to rename files. I am doing a custom rename, which is basically Image Year/ Image Month/ Image Day/ Counter, and I renamed and continue to rename masters at import. Part of the reason I did this was that so everything I was moving over from iPhoto would be named consistently, and everything going forward would be consistent. Is there an issue or problem with the way I have chosen to do things? And if so, what would be recommended assuming I want the image capture date in the file name?

Thanks, Misty

Roger Musser's picture
by Roger Musser
June 10, 2011 - 11:40pm

Misty,
I thought that my “do not import duplicates” feature was working fine. I thought that you might have been importing into a new project and that was the problem. I just tried importing into a folder with the same photos and Aperture imported them again. I had to manually remove the new files.

by Thomas Emmerich
June 11, 2011 - 1:48am

Misty,

There’s nothing wrong with renaming files during import if it helps you organize or find things later. The trade off is the duplicate import function won’t work.

Hopefully Aperture will someday use other info such as EXIF data and file info to determine duplicates so that renaming on import doesn’t disable the feature. You can request this by providing feedback to Apple. The easiest way is to select the Aperture menu item and select Provide Aperture Feedback. That menu item takes you to this page: http://www.apple.com/feedback/aperture.html

The more people that request a feature, the more likely Apple will implement it some day.

Thomas

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 11, 2011 - 5:03am

All,

The difference is if you choose to rename masters on import as well as versions. That’s when the “do not import duplicates” function stops working.

For most shooters, this isn’t a problem because you’re likely to clear a memory card before putting it back in the camera. But on point-and-shoot cameras, or iPhones, or anywhere where you don’t want to clear the card, my tip is to fire a frame with the lens cap on (or with your hand over the lens) so the image is totally dark. This makes it really easy to spot when looking for the gap between imported and non-imported images in the Import dialog.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Levin den's picture
by Levin den
July 22, 2012 - 2:20am

Hello, we have now a problem with our ‘Do not import Duplicate’. We updated to version 3.3.1. and the system won’t work anymore??

Does this happened by more users with version 3.3.1.? We imported our pictures from a 18 GB SanDisk CompactFlash Card, but we only select the first 10 pictures (is an other project), after the update we hit the buttons ‘Apple(CMD)-i’ and we wan’t to import the remaining files, but instead of not showing the images that are already imported it shows directly again all the images on the CompactFlash Card?

Andrew Mumford's picture
by Andrew Mumford
July 22, 2012 - 10:34am

If you’re working with one or two camera’s with sequentially named files then you might consider creating a “inbox” or “incoming” project and then moving the your selects to a new project after sorting.

It’s also easy to rename your images and apply the same name to the originals using Batch Change.

My Tuppence

---
Andrew Mumford

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 24, 2012 - 9:07am

Levin,

Did you see the complete thread above… are you renaming files on import? If so, then duplicate detection doesn’t work (and never has). If you have a different experience, please provide the details of what you used to do that worked, and what you’re doing now that doesn’t.

thanks

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

by Thomas Emmerich
July 24, 2012 - 10:06am

Oddly I just encountered the do not import duplicates issue. I’m on vacation using my laptop which has had Aperture all along but I don’t import to it much. OS 10.7.4 and Aperture 3.3.1. The first 2 or 3 imports I did showed previously imported images even though the box is checked and I don’t rename files. But it seems to have stopped it now except for those first several sets of images that now still show up in the import window even though they are in the library. Images imported during later sessions don’t show during import.

Thomas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness