You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Disabling Automatic Lens Correction #1
skylar kelly's picture
by skylar kelly
August 27, 2014 - 1:45pm

Hi all,

TL;DR: Hate automatic lens correction. Want it disabled. Any ideas?

Aperture automatically corrects geometric distortion in images made with my X-Pro 1. Great, right?

Not really. I hate it. I hate it so much that I no longer use Aperture to process my files. I want to see exactly what the camera captured. Zero correction, zero sharpening.

I’ve explored a number of alternate RAW converters (AccuRaw, RAW Photo Processor 64, Iridient Developer, Rawker, even dcraw from the command line) and settled on Capture One. It does a great job. However, it’s slow and I really can’t stand the interface or file management scheme. 

At this point I round-trip images from Aperture to C1 and back to Aperture. Sometimes. It’s such a pain in the ass. All my recent work is a maelstrom of C1 Sessions / databases & Aperture Libraries from here to tarnation. 

Seriously guys, this sucks so hard I’ve reverted to shooting with my F3. All because there’s no toggle for lens corrections in Aperture.

I’ve looked everywhere. I’ve pleaded with Apple (no response, natch), asked every hacker friend I’ve got, prayed to every major deity… no answers yet.

So I put it to you, denizens of apertureexpert.com:

Is there any method - including those considered immoral, amoral, illogical, illegal or otherwise unsavory - to achieve this? My best idea so far was an AppleScript that would reach into the .RAF file headers and delete the metadata tags, but I’ve got no clue how to write such a thing (I tried, I cried, I admitted defeat). Is it even possible?

Anyway, thanks for reading.

- Skylar

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
August 28, 2014 - 8:01pm

I’m amazed that it is doing this - you’re sure it’s not because you are using the jpegs embedded in the raw as previews?

Can you turn it off in the camera?

Aperture uses Apple’s raw convertor for the camera - there’s nothing in Aperture as such. You can however open a Raw Fine Tuning adjustment brick and see what options you can fiddle with - you will almost certainly be able to adjust sharpening and noise reduction, maybe lens correction. I can’t tell as the raw convertor for each camera i different.

d.

skylar kelly's picture
by skylar kelly
August 29, 2014 - 6:25am

Hi David, 

I know! It’s weird. The camera is a Fujifilm X-Pro 1. Aperture handles its files exceptionally well. I found the following here:

• Apple Camera Raw automatically applies digital lens distortion correction based on metadata in the RAW file. However, it doesn’t apply any de-vignetting.

I’ve asked in the comments over there if the author knows of a way to disable it.

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
August 29, 2014 - 9:45am

Hi Skylar

Everyone else is moaning Aperture doesn’t do automatic lens correction! Anyway, if it doesn’t switch off in the Raw Fine Tuning I suspect there’s little you can do.

cheers

d.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness