You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Digital Camera Raw Compatibility Update 5.05 (Aperture 3 and iPhoto 11) #1
Stuart's picture
by Stuart
May 16, 2014 - 5:18am

OS X Mavericks: Supported digital camera RAW formats

Learn about supported digital camera RAW formats in OS X Mavericks.

Digital camera RAW formats retain more image information than JPEGs and can produce better results when used with imaging applications such as Aperture and iPhoto.

Apple released some Raw updates this evening. 

OS X Mavericks provides system-level support for digital camera RAW formats from the following cameras.

Supported by Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 5.05*

Canon EOS Rebel T5 / 1200D / Kiss X70
Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II
Nikon D4S
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10

For more info: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5955

John Shiever's picture
by John Shiever
May 16, 2014 - 3:40pm

The more I know, the less I understand.  I realize that I do not know the roles played by the camera, operating system, and Aperture in converting the sensor data into an image.  What does what to what … so to speak!  If I can see my raw images with Preview on my mac, can I just move those images to some other editing program that does not include a RAW conversion?  I thought I knew the answer.  

JWS

Richard's picture
by Richard
May 17, 2014 - 10:21am

Yes, but the file is “baked” on import. It’s not like with Aperture where you can do lossless edits utilizing the RAW pipeline, you’ve essentially turned it into a JPEG - with the same disadvantages.

(At least, that’s how it works in my experience)

Peter Barna's picture
by Peter Barna
May 22, 2014 - 5:34pm

Hello everybody! I’m about to purchase Aperture 3.5.1. After installing the software, do I have to install Digital Camera Raw manually? Or is it contained in Aperture install? Or is it already contained in my Mavericks? And… Speaking here about “Digital Camera Raw”, is “Adobe Camera Raw” the same thing?

Please somebody help me find my way out of this. Thanx

Russell's picture
by Russell
May 23, 2014 - 9:14am

Peter:

OSX handles “Digital Camera Raw” and Aperture calls on it for its raw processing.

To check that you have the latest Digital Camera Raw update, go to the Apple icon (top left of menu bar) and select “Software Update…” which will either show the recent update or decide that you need to download and install the update. So if that’s the case, Click “Update”.

It is equivalent to, but not the same thing as, “Adobe Camera Raw” which, amongst many other differences, is app-level rather than system-level.

Russell

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness