You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
differences in raw files #1
Pierre Lessard's picture
by Pierre Lessard
April 30, 2012 - 6:33am

what is the difference in a raw picture from a Canon 1dx vs 5d Mark iii or a s95? Is there a difference in the picture, in the information that is stored on the image or something else? I know that raw files from different cameras are not the same. Is a raw file from a better quality camera, a better raw file?

Bob Rockefeller's picture
by Bob Rockefeller
April 30, 2012 - 7:42am

RAW files are simply the raw data captured by the camera’s sensor and then stored. So, by definition, they are all different, because the cameras’ sensors are different.

A “better” camera captures “better” data, so the RAW file would contain that “better” data.

Bob

Bob
----------
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA
www.bobrockefeller.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 30, 2012 - 12:41pm

Pierre,

A lot goes into making that RAW file. The difference is in the lens, the sensor, and the processors in the camera. A 1Dx and 5D Mk III should be somewhat similar, although we haven’t seen the 1Dx yet. They are both full-frame sensors, both that take Canon’s best lenses (the “L” glass), and both have top-of-the-line processors. The s95 is a consumer camera with a pinky-nail sized sensor and a hamster running the computer. :) OK that’s obviously just being mean because I know the s95 is a very, very good compact camera… but it’s in no way shape or form in the same league as a dSLR.

The differences you’ll notice are in noise, dynamic range, sharpness, chromatic aberration, low light performance, and more.

I hope that answers your question!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Pierre Lessard's picture
by Pierre Lessard
April 30, 2012 - 5:57pm

thanks to both of you, Bob and Joseph, now I understand

Pierre

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
April 30, 2012 - 11:12pm

Better sensors = better sensitivity I know its the obvious and already mentioned. The use of bit depth use to be thrown around more as one measure of quality. Cameras use to have 10bits per color. I used (8years ago?) a 6mp Sinar back that had 14 bits/color and it was/is better than most of the 18mp “point and shoots” today. Software engineers can really pull out information locked in that data.

Cheers

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?