You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Deleting photos from camera after import #1
Frank Kurzawa's picture
by Frank Kurzawa
July 13, 2010 - 11:19pm

In the past, after importing from my camera into Aperture, Aperture always gave me the option of deleting all the imported images from my camera. Now I’m no longer presented with that option. This is with an iPhone and a Nikon D50.
Did I accidentally change some preference that I can no longer find? Or did something else change?

Thanks,
Frank

Frank Kurzawa

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 14, 2010 - 5:32am

Frank,

There is in fact a “Do not show this message again” option when you get that “Import Complete” dialog, so I’m guessing you hit it!

As far as I can tell, the only way to reset this is to go to the menu Aperture > Preferences… > General and click the Reset All Warnings button.

Let me know if that doesn’t work!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Frank Kurzawa's picture
by Frank Kurzawa
July 14, 2010 - 6:40am

Hi Joseph,

I did just do the Reset All Warnings that you suggested. Upon doing a new import, I get the dialog that notifies me that I’ve imported xxx photos into the project Yyyy. There’s a checkbox to not show me this particular dialog again. I’ve been getting this dialog all along. But I believe I used to get a separate dialog asking me if I wanted to delete the photos that I just imported. Doing Reset All Warnings has not restored that dialog.

Thanks,
Frank

Frank Kurzawa

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 14, 2010 - 7:00am

Frank,

That’s interesting. Yes, you should be seeing that button in the same dialog as well.

Where are the pictures coming from? A directly connected camera, or through a card reader?

Here’s the dialog I get… are you seeing something entirely different, or is it just missing that button?

@PhotoJoseph

Morten Scheel's picture
by Morten Scheel
July 18, 2010 - 6:00pm

As far as I can tell, you only get the option to delete images and eject the card if you’re using a card reader. When importing directly from the camera, you don’t get to choose.

Morten
@afringedweller

Frank Kurzawa's picture
by Frank Kurzawa
July 20, 2010 - 5:18am

Hmm, I’ve never even owned a card reader, and until recently when my Apreture’s behavior changed, I had deleted photos from my cameras on many occasions from within Aperture.
I’m curious what led you to the conclusion that Aperture’s delete will only work with card readers?

Thanks,
Frank

Frank Kurzawa

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 26, 2010 - 8:22am

I think Morten is right—this option to delete only comes up when you’re importing through a card reader; I too get no option to delete when importing from my iPhone (which of course is connected directly ot the Mac).

I find this curious as well, and am not convinced it was a deliberate decision. Let’s see if Apple makes any changes to that!

@PhotoJoseph

Frank Kurzawa's picture
by Frank Kurzawa
July 26, 2010 - 1:06pm

OK, I think I figured this out. On my Nikon, the USB settings give me the choice of mounting PTP or as Mass Storage. I switched from PTP to Mass Storage, and I once again have the option to erase my memory card from within Aperture while my Nikon is connected directly to my mac, I believe must have had my Nikon set this way before and inadvertently changed it since I used to have the same capability.

The iPhone doesn’t give us that option; it only mounts as a device not as mass storage. So it can’t be erased from w/in Aperture AFAICS.

And my Panasonic Lumix, which is off getting repaired right now, would apparently only mount as mass storage b/c I could always erase its memory card from within Aperture.

HTH,
F.

Frank Kurzawa

Frank Kurzawa's picture
by Frank Kurzawa
July 14, 2010 - 11:02am

Yes, that looks familiar. I believe I used to see that dialog. Now this is the only dialog that I see:
http://s1040.photobucket.com/albums/b402/fkurzawa/?action=view&current=I…

I’m seeing this with my directly connected iPhone4, iPhone3, and Nikon D50. So it doesn’t seem to be related to the hardware. I used to be able to erase the card from within Aperture for any of these (except the iPhone 4 which I didn’t have yet).

I just spent some time hitting the “Do not show this message again button” and the Import Settings|Restore Defaults, then going into preferences and doing a “Restore all Warmings” in hopes of rattling the AWOL dialog back into view, but it hasn’t helped.

Very strange,

Frank

Frank Kurzawa

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?