You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Deleting Albums #1
GD Rothenberg's picture
by GD Rothenberg
September 19, 2012 - 4:28am

This is a seemingly simple matter but I wanted to be 100% sure before permanently deleting 5000 images I have in various (regular, not smart ones) albums. I realize that albums contain versions of photos. Can I simply delete large albums in my Aperture managed library and assume that I have not destroyed any of the originals? The other question is how do you know if you're looking at a version or an original if no edits were made to the original? I know I can press M to see the master but if there were no edits made, how do I know which is a version and which is the master?

GD Rothenberg

Craig Andrews's picture
by Craig Andrews
September 22, 2012 - 4:17am

If I create an album as part of a Project and later delete the album, the originals and versions are still in the Project. So to clarify, I have a Project and an arrow beside the Project name that will reveal or hide any albums, slideshows, books, smart albums etc that are part of he Project. If I delete any of the albums, books etc., the originals and versions are not lost. Re the 2nd part of your question, if you are looking at a Version, it is going to say Version 1 or Version 2 whatever the case. A version is created automatically IF you have your preferences set to create a new version upon making an adjustment to your Original (or Master as some call it) Click - Aperture/Preferences/Advanced and check the very bottom box if you want this enabled. I suspect you know that already. A version can also be created manually if you have aperture do so. (Opt + v ) However if you DO NOT have “Create New Version upon making Adjustment” enabled, and you make an adjustment to your original (Master) you simply get a badge in the lower right corner indicating an adjustment has been made. This badge also shows up on any new versions that Aperture creates automatically if you have your Preferences set for it to do so. The badge is an arrow pointing in both directions (left and right) and is most easily seen in the Viewer mode. Hit the letter “Y” while in viewer mode to show the data as you can toggle it on and off. So if you never create any new versions manually or automatically you will simply have your Master (original) with no badge showing, or if you made an adjustment, with the badge showing. Obviously if you exported to a third party plug-in do so some editing, such as PS or Nik, you will automatically get a new version with a badge looking like a bullseye target, regardless of how you have your preferences set.
Does this make sense to you?

I'd much rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

GD Rothenberg's picture
by GD Rothenberg
September 22, 2012 - 6:05am

It was worth waiting for such a comprehensive and well written reply. Many thanks.

GD Rothenberg

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness