You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Deleted images still using disk space! #1
studio1972's picture
by studio1972
May 2, 2015 - 11:22am

OK, so I’ve come over from aperture, which I still have. I want to free up some disk space so I deleted some projects on aperture, emptied trash etc. Then did the same to the same images on photos app. However, the images did not end up in the finder trash can, and the disc space has not been freed up. How do you get rid of the files???

Alex U's picture
by Alex U
May 2, 2015 - 1:35pm

This is a very good question. I found a menu position “recently deleted”. I wanted to post a screenshot but you can not upload a picture here :-(

Anyway: Look for that menu position on top of the page under “Folder” (I am not fully sure if it is called “folder” as my Mac is not set in english). When you press now “recently deleted” and the you find all deleted items which is very surprising. But I marked there all the pictures and  deleted them again . Now they are gone.

But in your finder under “pictures” you find a file with the name of the deleted folder in Photos and the suffix “.photoslibrary”. This is still in the finder. I wonder if I can delete this folder. Even though being empty it is still over 60MB large. Before deleting the fotos in Photos the it war many GB large and I wondered why it was that large. It seems that Photos is a killer of storage.

Best regards, Alex

Ade968's picture
by Ade968
May 4, 2015 - 11:42pm

I had trouble with this as well. I found “Show Recently Deleted” under the File menu. This is effectively an equivalent of the Aperture Trash folder I think. There was then a button in the top right of the screen to delete the files. This freed up the disk space.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness