You are here

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Date Created vs Date Modified #1
Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
May 28, 2011 - 5:09pm

Hello

I don't know if anyone can help, but I have a strange thing with some dates. I have an image I took on 26.03.2011. Date created on the original file is 26.03. No problem there.

I edited the image using Nik software via Aperture plugins and the version of the image is now saying date created was 05.04.2011. When checking the exif info in Adobe bridge, the file shows date created 26.03 and date modified 05.04 which would seem to be correct.

Any ideas a) why the date created field in Aperture would show the date modified?
b) how can I correct it to ensure the date created field is correct?

I have to say, this is a unique problem, it's not something I have been able to replicate. I have tried to get the dates to be incorrect by following the same editing steps, but it's not happening now.

Perhaps I should not even worry about it, but it is mildly irritating me that I cannot figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
May 28, 2011 - 5:18pm

Hi Sarah

I’m well familiar with being bugged by oddities that I can’t replicate! I can offer a possible suggestion, although I can’t explain why it doesn’t happen consistently. When you edit in a plugin, you export the current rendering of the raw and create another file to work on (a tiff I think). So maybe what’s showing you the date created as the date modified is looking at the date the tiff was indeed created?

d.

d.

Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
May 28, 2011 - 5:56pm

Thanks David, that’s what I thought too.

None of the other Tiff or PSD files I have worked on via the plugins have done this, they have been saved with the original creation date.

It’s probably not that big a deal since I have the original RAW, but I was using a smart album and so it did not show up in there due to the incorrect date. Just wish I could replicate the error.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 30, 2011 - 7:27am

Sarah,

Is it possible that the photos you’re editing were shot/captured in a different time zone to the one you’re in now?

Aperture shows “Date” under EXIF. This is not listed as “created” or “modified”, simply as “date”. And it’s meant to be the date of capture.

When you do an open-in-editor or use a plug-in, you are creating a new file, hence you have a new creation date. But that should only be relevant in the Finder; Aperture will still read the date from the EXIF field and display the date/time it was shot.

If you look under IPTC, there are several user-modifiable date fields, such as Release Date, Reference Date, and more. These are for your own use.

The problem I’ve noticed when using “open in editor” or any third-party plugin is that while Aperture does maintain the EXIF date of capture, it will assign the time zone that you’re currently sitting in. So let’s say you’re in GMT+1 but the photo you’re working with is GMT—2. When you create the new photo, it gets the GMT+1 date, shifting it three hours out of sync. So when you sort by date, it’s not sitting in the right place.

This kind of confusion is precisely why I my photos are all named with a yyyy-mm-dd_hh-mm-ss format, so that I can sort by name and always have chronological order

I hope that helps,
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Robin Clark's picture
by Robin Clark
July 10, 2011 - 7:45pm

Hi On a slightly related matter - do either of you know if Aperture 3 records the date of edit when NOT using an external editor. I have been struggling syncing the latest edited previews to my iPad and the only guaranteed way is deleting previews and re-generating them but I need a simple (smart album would be ideal) way of finding images I have edited over a time period. Also all images missing a preview file would be useful.

Regards

Robin

Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
July 10, 2011 - 8:15pm

Oh I just noticed I never did reply to Joseph’s earlier response. Apologies that was unintentional.

And no, there was no time zone issue with these images, but thanks for the feedback. It doesn’t seem to have happened again anyway, so I think I’ll cease to worry about it!

Robin, I’m sure Joseph will jump in if I’ve missed the point with this, but I think the date modified field should be available. In the metadata tab in the inspector, click the drop down box and then the last option in the list is edit. This opens up a dialog box with all of the metadata views and corresponding metadata fields in a second column. If you select the view you would like the field to show up in (eg General) and then look at the metadata fields in the right hand column you will find the date last modified field there underneath the section marked “aperture”. If you check this box, then the date will appear in the metadata list for each file. Not sure if this is what you wanted :)

What I don’t know, is how to get that added field as one of the filtering selections for the smart album. Hopefully somebody else knows how to do that!

Hope that helps and that is what you were looking to do?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 12, 2011 - 9:32am

Robin,

No, Aperture doesn’t record the date of an edit via Aperture adjustment.

[EDIT] If I’d actually read the entire thread, I’d have seen that Sarah already knew the answer and that Aperture does in fact record the last moment a file was edited, even using Aperture’s adjustments. Cool!
[END EDIT]

You can build a Smart Album that shows only images that have been adjusted [screenshot]. If you typically make several versions of a file and want the latest version only, if you have the versions in a stack, make sure the newest is the stack pick and only those will be synced to the iPad.

There’s no search criteria for images without a preview file.

Sarah — all available fields can be found from the Add Rule drop-down in the Smart Album search box. If you can’t find a specific one, let me know… some are buried in curious places.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
July 12, 2011 - 9:47am

Yes, Please Joseph, I’d be most interested to find those not so obvious fields in the filter for creating a SmartAlbum. I figured it’s there somewhere, but just couldn’t find it.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 12, 2011 - 10:01am

Sarah,

My apologies, this is what I get for trying to catch up on dozens of posts at once. I didn’t read your entire comment, and missed that you had actually answered Robin’s question! I’ve edited my comment above.

Unfortunately I can’t find the “Date Modified” either in the Smart Album criteria. It looks like that one is missing :(

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
July 12, 2011 - 10:13am

Ah, thanks Joseph. I am glad I’m not going mad, I spent ages trying to find it. So, although we can find that field, it’s not much use if you can’t sort or filter using it :)

Perhaps that should be added to my wish list for Version 4 :)

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness