You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
D800 lens distortion and management urgently neded in Aperture #1
Paul Tyrrell's picture
by Paul Tyrrell
July 9, 2012 - 1:49pm

OK so I got my D800 and bought a 24-70 f2.8. The vingetting is HORRIFIC as I do a lot of astrophotography as is distortion can moire be circular??????????

It the freakiest thing I've ever seen, anyway I was wondering if anyone would know which software would suite the new camera and lens as it hasn't been around long and I'm not having much luck on google either.

Thanks

Paul

Paul Tyrrell's picture
by Paul Tyrrell
July 11, 2012 - 4:16pm

Thanks Sarah, I have done that update it was L 1.006, I hope L was for LD lens distortion. I’ll have a look at that software now and I forgot to repot back that my night time Milky Way shot have more that doubled in quality, there is still traces of this totally bizarre circular rings, it’s best described like looking into a pond a someone dropped a pebble in, anyway ACR smashes it, but I don’t have a dedicated lens plug-in so thank you :)

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
July 12, 2012 - 3:52am

Check your sensor. I have a nasty little ring spot on my images of my new D800. At the suggestion of someone on the NikonCafe.com message board I checked the sensor and it was an oil spot that I easily cleaned off with PecPad and solution. No more problem. I’m told this can happen on new camera bodies and comes from the shutter system.

With the D800 distortion control, will there be no need for PTLens?

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
July 17, 2012 - 12:15am

I did some testing. The distortion control on the D800 and other Nikon models does not modify the actual raw data. If you are shooting JPGs, it will perform lens correction on the JPG in-camera. For raw files, it only sets a parameter in the NEF file. Nikon Capture will read this and turn on distortion control during post processing. No 3rd party products will do this. I’ve tested Aperture and Lightroom 4 personally.

Adobe has their own lens correction profile tool and database of lenses, as does DxO and some other software makers. I hope Apple Aperture adds that. It is the one real missing feature I want above all others. I even suggested to Apple that they purchase the feature from someone like epaperpress (PTLens maker) and bake it right into Aperture.

What I like about how Adobe does it is they implement it right in the developer module of LR. You don’t have to generate a TIFF file that is exported to a tool, corrected, and imported back into Aperture. Those TIFF files chew up a LOT of space relative to the raw files. I’d rather see this ability applied right in Aperture as part of the corrections for the raw file.

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 17, 2012 - 7:57am

Mark me down as another one who’d like native lens distortion controls in Aperture! I shoot UWA lenses a lot, and they can be quite handy, so whenever I need it - it’s a trip to CS6 right now, which yes - it’s annoying on the size issue, but I guess it’s worth it.

Paul Tyrrell's picture
by Paul Tyrrell
July 9, 2012 - 1:50pm

PS. The camera ABSOLUTELY ROCKS in normal light :)

Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
July 10, 2012 - 1:34am

Paul, I have the D800 also! I agree, it rocks (even if the raw files are huge!).

First things first, are you aware that Nikon issued a firmware update for many Nikon cameras that deals with lens distortion? This was issued only within the last 10 days. Not sure how much it will help, I haven’t got round to doing it yet either.

Lens Distortion

There’s also a plugin which can be used in Aperture called PTLens. It maybe useful.

PTLens

The software has been updated to include the D800.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
July 11, 2012 - 4:42am

Great info Sarah. Thanks! I just got a D800 about a month ago.

Paul T's picture
by Paul T
August 18, 2012 - 12:10am

I hadn’t done much astrophotography of late and what I did get was nothing special but the distortion is still there and terrible. ACR is great as is CNX2. Capture NX2 is a bizarre program. It’s so, so, slow but it’s quite powerful.

Walter thanks for the info, It’s lens correction is excellent and auto does come on, but it’s also flawed as it takes so long to process one adjustment as I have to also turn on manual correction too and even then it’s still hard to get rid of that ring only with astro though, even when I had my D7000, so the bigger files still don’t really impact on processing time. I’m still yet to fully get my head around it.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?