You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Customizing Slideshow Themes #1
Lars Slowak's picture
by Lars Slowak
March 30, 2011 - 5:04pm

Hi Joseph,

first of all thank you for contributing so many great tips on Aperture.

As a long term Photoshop / Camera RAW / Bridge user I've added Aperture to the list of my converters, especially because of its abilities to create slide shows.

I've read some reviews and it looks like that the Ken Burns theme seems to be the only theme providing more in-depth customization options.

But is it really true that a user can not decide (or better set) the number of pictures in the reflections theme?

Is there really no workaround (or a hidden feature) to change the number of pictures I want it to be in that specific theme?

To be true, this would be a real pain, since it is obvious to be one of the most important features to set.

Best wishes
& greetings from Germany,

Lars

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 31, 2011 - 12:04am

Lars,

Unfortunately those “fancy” themes are extremely limiting in the controls that you have, and they are randomly generated. There’s no controlling if you have 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 images on screen at once (referring to the “Reflections” theme specifically here), and if you select the same group of photos and make three slideshows in a row, all three will have different patterns.

What you can do is rearrange the order of the slides in the timeline, so if you wanted image A to be in a slide on it’s own, you could find the previous/next solo slide and move image A into its place—but that’s about it.

I know the limitations are frustrating, and hopefully this will grow in future releases. I think the slideshows are an under-appreciated aspect of Aperture 3, however this is precisely why. The lack of control makes them unusable for many people.

The “Ken Burns” theme is much more customizable, yes. So is “Basic”, which is, as far as I can tell, the same thing as “Ken Burns” except that the Default Settings > Crop is set to Fit in Frame vs Ken Burns, respectively.

If anyone has found a way to game the system, please let me know! That would make a fantastic video tip and I’d love to expand on it—if there’s a way.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?