You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cropping and Tethering Camera? #1
hannes reisinger's picture
by hannes reisinger
May 9, 2011 - 6:12pm

Hi there!

I'm only begining working with Applescript and need for a multimedia installation. I'm desperately searching these arguments for Applescript in Aperture:
- Cropping an image (dimensions/xy will be read from a text file)
- Tethering the camera with a script (Canon 7D)

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

Morten Scheel's picture
by Morten Scheel
May 9, 2011 - 7:58pm

Well, yes and no. Aperture doesn’t provide the scripting “hooks” for tethered shooting or custom image adjustments (you can trigger existing adjustment presets, but not make a custom one in a script). I think there’s a way around these limitations though, but it requires a little detour. Here’s what I’d do (I’m no scripting expert, so better solutions may exist):

Use the Canon software (EOS Capture?) for the tethered shooting, select which folder it saves to.
Write a folder action script for this folder. Use Image Events to crop the incoming images (here’s a link with instructions: http://www.macosxautomation.com/applescript/imageevents/07.html).
Have the script copy the cropped images to a different folder, one that Aperture is set up to automatically import from (I’m away from my Mac at the moment and I don’t remember exactly how to do this, so I hope Joseph will join this discussion?).

If you want to trigger the shutter via AppleScript you can use UI scripting (tell app “System Events” to tell process “EOS Capture(?)” to keystroke space).

I hope this helps. Let me know if I misunderstood something or if you need clarification.

Morten
@aFringeDweller

hannes reisinger's picture
by hannes reisinger
May 10, 2011 - 12:15am

hi morten!

thanks for your answer, that is what i would have done - only eos capture doesnt support tethered shooting for the 7d (i know, its strange…)

another problem is that you only can crop out the image center with image events while i actually need very specific area.

anyway, it all doesnt matter anymore.
i was working on that the whole freaking weekend and today the project supervisor called telling me we wont need it :/

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?