You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Creating a Custom Greeting Card #1
HMCA's picture
by HMCA
April 18, 2013 - 6:59am

I have Aperture 3 and have watched Derrick Story's videos on lynda.com. After contacting him with a question about creating the card shown in the video, he said that I have to set my print size to 8.5x11 in order to print a 7x10 custom card. I have tried many times to get this to work but can't seem to get the lay-out boxes in the right positions on the card. Has anyone created a template that works? If so would you mind sharing your layout dimensions? I was so excited about doing this that I ordered 100 7x10 cards from Red River. I don't want to waste anymore cards.

Hope someone can help.

Much Thanks,

HMCA
Aperture 3..5.1, PE11, PSCC for photographers : ) , NIK, Topaz and OnOne Plug-ins

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 19, 2013 - 1:55pm

Helen,

RedRiver has some instructions for setting a custom paper size here.

Have you tried this? It works for my Canon printer but the instructions seem to imply it is manufacturer agnostic (i.e. works for any printer).

Thomas

by Thomas Emmerich
April 19, 2013 - 1:58pm

I should add that the linked instructions are for Photoshop, but if you click the Print command in Aperture when viewing your book (i.e. card) design, you’ll end up with the same dialog where you can manage paper sizes.

Thomas

by Thomas Emmerich
April 18, 2013 - 1:25pm

Helen,

I have created a couple of cards using Derrick’s instructions although it has been awhile. I recall his instructions were for an earlier version of Aperture and things changed a little in the current version. I remember also contacting him and he replied that yes he should update things for the latest Aperture. I don’t know if he ever did the update but I figured out how to do it on my own.

I created my cards by using a custom book size with 7” x 10” pages. When I print, I used a custom paper size in the print dialog (I have a Canon iP4500). My custom paper size was 7” wide by 10” tall with no margins. I never used 8.5 x 11 anywhere in the process.

Like I said, it was quite awhile ago when I actually printed those but I just looked back at the project and print dialogs to refresh my memory.

Tom

Thomas

HMCA's picture
by HMCA
April 18, 2013 - 7:34pm

Tom, thanks for your reply. The problem is that my Epson printer won’t accept the card size, so that he said we have to trick it by putting in the 8.5x11 size. The problem then is to place the layout correctly so that when I print using the 7x10 paper the photo box and name box on the back are in the right. I’m thinking if I were a math person, I could figure this out.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Helen

HMCA
Aperture 3..5.1, PE11, PSCC for photographers : ) , NIK, Topaz and OnOne Plug-ins

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?