You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
constantly generating thumbnails #1
Robin Clark's picture
by Robin Clark
March 26, 2015 - 11:37am

Hi

My 3.6 Aperture on OSX 10.10 on a mid 2009 iMac 27” is always generating thumbnails.  By that I mean whenever a new set of thumbnails appears in the filmstrip the “processing” notification appears and when I open it up it is generating the thumbnails for the images now in the filmstrip.  If I wait until they are complete and nothing is showing in the processing window it all stays calm but as soon as I scroll through the filmstrip to a new set of images it starts generating these new thumbnails.

I have run fix permissions and run a repair job but have stopped short of a full rebuild.

This all seemed to start when I renamed all my images (versions and original) filenames.  It was never part of my workflow and in preparation for some new Aperture software replacement I wanted to ensure I had no “duplicate” filenames.  

So before multiple Batch Change of filenames - no problem, after multiple Batch Change of filenames - constant re-generation of thumbnails.

Any suggestions?

vidpixarts@gmail.com's picture
by vidpixarts@gmail.com
March 26, 2015 - 12:18pm

Robin:  check your aperture preferences under previews. What do you have checked? There are 3 options: generate previews always, never or on exiting aperture. That could be the issue. I personally choose to generate previews when exiting (quitting) aperture.

Robin Clark's picture
by Robin Clark
March 26, 2015 - 12:28pm

My prefs is set to leaving also.  But it isn’t the previews that are generating all the time it is the thumbnails which I have always understood to be different to previews.

vidpixarts@gmail.com's picture
by vidpixarts@gmail.com
March 26, 2015 - 12:40pm

Sorry. You are right. Thumbs and previews are different . Joseph has a detailed post about the differences on this site.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness