You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Compatability- Aperture 3.2.1 update #1
Paul Evans's picture
by Paul Evans
November 2, 2011 - 5:44am

Hi good folks of AP Expert world.
Below are some of the details of my macbook processor etc. I would like to get an iphone 4s which requires Lion OS. Reading the Aperture forum on flickr leads me to believe that my machine won't handle Lion and A3. I went into my local Apple store and they were unsure as to the outcome of this upgrade.
Currently I'm having no issues with AP3 crashing and very little spinning beach balls. Should I leave the upgrades alone and not upset my current setup?

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.1 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 2, 2011 - 8:49am

Paul,

The Apple Mac OS X Lion Tech Specs page lists the requirements as:

• Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
• 2GB of memory
• OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
• 7GB of available space
• Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.
• Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.

Your hardware qualifies, and will run Lion just fine.

Just launch the App Store and try to buy it — it’ll tell you if your Mac isn’t compatible (but yours is)

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Paul Evans's picture
by Paul Evans
November 2, 2011 - 4:32pm

Thank you Joseph,

The worry I have is various forums saying that Aperture 3 and Lion are very unstable and slow. The guys in the Apple store were not very convincing at all, in fact I thought they were going to have an argument with each other in the store over my questions.

I run Leopard at the moment and as I said, everything works well. To install Lion I must first upgrade to Snow Leopard and then install Lion. To be honest, I’m a ‘If it aint broke, don’t fix it” sort of chap so this decision is tough one for me. I just need to be sure.

Thank you.

Paul.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 3, 2011 - 5:20am

Paul,

Wow, you’re all the way back there… well, not sure what to tell you. I’m running Lion/Aperture on a MacBook Air 11” Core 2 Duo 1.6Ghz with 4GB RAM, and it runs fine. It’s not blazing fast of course, but this is a pretty slow machine relatively speaking. It’s absolutely fine for all basic editing. I do my heavy work on an iMac, but this is my road machine.

A lot of the problems you’re reading about were probably from the initial release. We’re up to Lion 10.7.2 and Aperture 3.2.1, all full of fixes.

If it were me, I’d do it. But if you don’t need or want the features, as you say, “if it ain’t broke…”

I for one LOVE the new features in both Lion and Aperture.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?