You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Colour shift on import into Aperture #1
jjoakland2@mac.com's picture
by jjoakland2@mac.com
March 20, 2014 - 7:14pm

Hi,

I’ve read lots of different threads/FAQs etc - including this one https://www.apertureexpert.com/tips/2011/11/22/why-do-my-photos-look-dif… - that explains why a colour shift from on my camera LCD to Aperture is seen. However as I don’t dial any settings into my camera (other than sharpness) I’m not sure why I see such a big change on certain colours. Most things are generally fine however I find with particularly vibrant colours in the red/pink and sometimes green spectrum there is a real problem. 

For example today I photographed a colour consultant - so correct colour is essential - and she was wearing a pink dress with pink lipstick. And the images looked great on the LCD. However on import she’s now wearing a red dress and red lipstick - though her eyes and the grey of the sleeves on her dress are absolutely fine. You can see the shift in the image below. The outside images are still showing the in camera preview and the middle the rendered RAW file.

I’m struggling to find the correct adjustments to make as I end up with an oddly coloured complexion or background colour and I’m hoping there’s something I can do without having to brush in adjustments just over her dress and lips.

Does anyone have any words of advice or suggestions?!!!

Thank you!

Jenny

Charles Putnam's picture
by Charles Putnam
March 20, 2014 - 9:15pm

If you’re shooting in RAW (vs. JPEG) format, then this is probably the main reason you’re seeing a color shift from what shows up on the camera’s LCD, and what shows up in Aperture.

The RAW format is the equivalent of a digital negative - it’s unprocessed, whereas a JPEG image straight out of the camera is.  BTW, it’s recommended that you do shoot using RAW.

Different cameras will render colors slightly differently.  For instance, Nikon tends to be slightly warmer, whereas Canon is somewhat cooler.

Can you provide what camera you’re using, whether your shooting in RAW or JPEG, and what your camera settings are (i.e. auto white balance, perhaps using one of the built-in “scene modes”, etc.)?

by jjoakland2@mac.com
March 20, 2014 - 9:24pm

Hi Charles,

Canon 5D III, RAW, auto white balance, a picture style that only changes sharpness (leaves contrast, saturation and colour tone all at 0), shooting manual, daylight, no flash.

It’s only happening with the pink that she was wearing - the blue, turquoise and purple outfits are absolutely fine but the pink dress - and her pink lipstick - are changing to red!

Charles Putnam's picture
by Charles Putnam
March 20, 2014 - 9:32pm

I did a quick search, and it seems that there is a rendering issue with the Canon 5D Mark II and III with Aperture.  The Aperture Blog offers a free Curves Adjustment Preset to help address some issues.

One other option is to choose the Color brick, click the eyedropper on the errant color and use it to correct that specific color.

by jjoakland2@mac.com
March 20, 2014 - 9:53pm

Thank you so much Charles - need to look into the preset in a bit more detail - but as a quick fix the color brick option has worked a treat!!!! 

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?