You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Color Brick - The "right" way? #1
ksignorini's picture
by ksignorini
June 13, 2011 - 6:56am

I've been experimenting with and reading about the Color adjustment brick, trying to figure out the “right” way to use it.

I'm hoping someone can help me understand a few things. Here goes:

1. If I would like to adjust two separate colors, say a shade of blue and a shade of red, can I or should I adjust both of these using a single Color adjustment brick? i.e. Click the blue box and sample the blue I want to adjust from the image; make the adjustment; click the red box and sample the red I want to adjust from the image; make the adjustment; and I'm done. I've seen tutorials doing it both ways.

2. In the example above, if I can/should use a single brick, am I doing it right by clicking on the color box closest to the color I want to adjust before doing the sample from the image?

3. What if I want to adjust two separate blues? Or two separate reds? (i.e. any two shades of a single color)

4. How many Color adjustment bricks can I use?

Thanks so much!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 14, 2011 - 9:30am

Ksignorini,

You’re using it correctly. The color tabs that are there are merely suggestions; you don’t have to start with a similar color tab (I usually do but that’s just old habit), and you could make each tab a sample of a slightly different shade of, say, red.

The color tabs that are there are more legacy. In Aperture 1, you only had those primary colors to work with, and couldn’t sample your own color. That feature came in Aperture 2.

Be sure to use the Range slider to restrict the range of the color you’re affecting if you are treating multiple similar hues. Think of the range like a slice of pie on the color wheel; the bigger the range, the bigger the slice, so the more similar colors will be affected by your adjustments.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

I think the maximum of any brick is five copies of it.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

ksignorini's picture
by ksignorini
June 14, 2011 - 12:47pm

So each Color brick then, gives me six independent, non-linked colors to adjust?

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
June 16, 2011 - 3:44am

Well blow me down! So it does. I hadn’t realised you could do six adjusts on a single brick. I’m not sure about “non-linked” in the sense that you’ll need to turn the range well down to keep that many shades independent of each other.

I think the more practical application of it is to have several adjustment bricks painted onto different parts of the image, each of which can have up to six adjusts.

d.

d.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 19, 2011 - 11:46am

Folks,

David’s assessment concludes that the brushed mask will encompass all color ranges in a selected brick, which is true. The overall conclusion here is that you have choices. You can use multiple bricks when needed, and single bricks when not. Keep in mind that if the areas you’re paining are totally separate parts of the image with totally unique colors, you can probably get away with a single brick. But it probably won’t slow things down to add more.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?