You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cleaning up library after split #1
Martin's picture
by Martin
October 1, 2014 - 5:41pm

I originally had an iPhoto library, then started using Aperture. I got more serious with my photography, so I exported those to a new Hobby library (Street photography), so all my family and personal photos would be separate and not swamped. I also imported the old iPhoto library into the original (family) Aperture library, and everything but the iPhoto import has been made a Referenced library on an external 2Gb drive.

Ideally I’d like to clean up my Personal Aperture library, removing my hobby photos from the personal library, but not remove the original referenced photos, which are of course linked in the hobby library. My understanding is that removing the Project folder will also delete the linked photos from the external drive, which I of course don’t want. As far as I can tell, the only way to clean it up is to do another export with only the family photos, but I really don’t wanna do that, as it takes an extremely long time and takes up a lot of room, quite apart from having to select just the photos you want for export, which is a big undertaking in itself.

So, is there a way that I’m missing for removing photos from a library without deleting the linked photos?

bjurasz's picture
by bjurasz
October 1, 2014 - 9:01pm

You are using a referenced library rather than a managed library?

Bill Jurasz
Austin Texas

Martin's picture
by Martin
October 2, 2014 - 12:56pm

Yes, all on an external 2Tb drive.

bjurasz's picture
by bjurasz
October 2, 2014 - 11:32pm

Just because the photos are on an external drive does not require you use a referenced library though.  I just don’t see any reason to not use managed libraries.  Let Aperture do all the file management for you.  Why do it yourself?

Bill Jurasz
Austin Texas

Martin's picture
by Martin
October 3, 2014 - 2:24am

I guess I just like them being organised and easy to find. I sometimes need to get at the photos, eg editing a batch for a panorama, which I do often. I may keep the stitching file in the same location for later reference. It is all organised on import, and better than the inscrutable structure in the Aperture library bundle. Soon I’m gonna have to split the library across two drives as I run out of room, which you can’t do with a managed library.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness