You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Changing RAW Defaults #1
Richard's picture
by Richard
April 15, 2012 - 12:45am

Hi all,

Is it possible to change the Apple RAW defaults for particular values, while still retaining the Auto-ISO behaviour for noise reduction? For my tastes, Apple has the edge sharpening set way too high for my camera, and the sharpening set too low, so I have to either a) change them for every photo, or b) lose the auto noise reduction setting and set that for each photo instead. Am I missing something, or is this not doable? Is there an internal file that can be changed to change the initial Apple sharpening settings?

Thanks!

Richard's picture
by Richard
April 20, 2012 - 1:14pm

Hi Joseph,

Sorry, the RAW “De-noise” setting is the one I’m referring to.

Using the RAW Apple defaults:
If I import an ISO100 image, Aperture sets the RAW De-noise setting to 0.00.
If I import an ISO3200 image, Aperture sets RAW De-noise to 0.50.

If I save a changed RAW default for my camera, with my updated sharpness settings, Aperture no longer does that.

Using my custom RAW defaults
(if De-noise is set to 0.00 when custom RAW preset saved):
If I import an ISO100 image, Aperture sets the RAW De-noise setting to 0.00.
If I import an ISO3200 image, Aperture sets RAW De-noise to 0.00.

Just wondering if there is a way to have both, which would seem to need updating the internal Apple RAW settings?

cheers,
Richard

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 21, 2012 - 6:38am

Richard,

Ah, now I understand. I don’t think I was aware that the de-noise changed depending on the ISO of the shot. I have to admit I never tweak the RAW decode settings.

I’m going to say that most likely you can’t have a custom setting that retains scaleable de-noise, but let me see what I can find out.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 21, 2012 - 6:54am

Oh this is interesting…

It looks like, at least for the 1Ds Mk III, there used to be an “auto noise compensation” checkbox in the RAW Fine Tuning: [screenshot]. That would solve the issue, wouldn’t it. I wonder why it was removed.

@PhotoJoseph

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 15, 2012 - 2:34am

You can change the RAW Fine Tuning for each camera you use. In the RAW Fine Tuning adjustment brick, make your changes and click the gear menu on the right of the brick and select “Set as Camera Default”.

Thomas

Richard's picture
by Richard
April 15, 2012 - 9:24am

Yep, but that disables the automatic noise reduction settings. That is, whether the image is ISO100 or ISO3200 the noise reduction will be whatever is set in the default, rather than Aperture changing that as necessary on import.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 15, 2012 - 2:57pm

I’m not sure I know what “auto noise reduction” you’re referring to. I do know that the RAW Fine Tuning offers different functions for different RAW file types though; perhaps you have an option that I don’t? Here’s what I see with my Canon RAW files: [screenshot].

If you see something different, would you mind sharing a screenshot? thanks!

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?