You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Changing data location #1
Brian Redmond's picture
by Brian Redmond
September 5, 2010 - 4:43pm

Having problems with External drive (Lacie) where my photo data (lots of it!) is stored. Also with back up data held on a different drive. Cannot access from my Mac Pro using firewire. Yet seems to work fine if slow using Mac laptop also firewire.
decided to move data to a new Drobo device.

Any tips?
Will I have to reference all my Projects again?

Nathan Smith's picture
by Nathan Smith
September 7, 2010 - 11:34am

So.. you are saying that you your Mac pro is not correctly connecting/working with the firewre connection but that laptop is?

If that is what I am understanding then what I would suggest is to first disconnect all other firewire devices (if any) and see if that changes anything. If that does then there is something else in the chain of devices that is causing you the problem.

If that is the only device that is firewire then try connecting using USB and see if continues to goof up or not. Are you connecting using FW 400 or 800? It might just one of those connections not working but the other might be fine.

If all that fails then its possible you have a faulty connection on the Mac Pro. Does your model have the connection on the back and the front? Try both to check the results.

Couple possibilities to move forward with are installing an internal drive in the Mac Pro and using it as the main drive for Aperture (thats what I have done) or gain access to another drive and see how it MP responds to it.

There are so many variables that is hard to say what could be the problem without you testing it more and passing on some more info.

What model Mac Pro?
What version of Mac OS?
What model Lacie HD?

How that helps but I need more info to go farther.

Brian Redmond's picture
by Brian Redmond
September 17, 2010 - 4:40am

Sorry for delay in responding. did prepare a response but it got lost somehow!

Running a MacPro 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Latest 10.6.4
Lacies are D2 models

Pretty convinced that problem was caused by broken or weak link in the daisy chain.
The most important active external Lacie worked much better on the Macbook Pro and I have now reinstalled on MacPro using a USB cable and it seems happy enough.

Bought a Drobo unit (2x2TB) as my main back up. One of the disks immediately failed which was a setback. Connecting with 800FW.

Once I have everything backed up to Drobo (inc Aperture vault and Superduper clone) I will go about moving my referenced files from the working but suspect Lacie to one of my four internal drives.

Heres the question: Is there a smart way of moving referenced files without having to go through the pain of changing the references on (say) a hundred projects, maybe more? I appreciate that I should be able to reconnect image files as a group within a project but it still a major chore. The names of Projects will not always correspond to the original filenames of Raw images.

My Aperture library has approx 50k images, most are referenced files.

Thanks for your help.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 19, 2010 - 3:56pm

Brian,

I’ve had the first drive fail on my Drobo, too. IMHO, either the Drobo is hyper sensitive, it’s killing the drives itself (scary thought), or it’s reporting errors that aren’t there. Or, Maxtor just ships a lot of crappy drives ;-)

Best way to move image masters is to let Aperture do it for you. From the File menu, choose Relocate Masters.

Just be sure you have everything backed up first—as always.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness