You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Catapult #1
Paul Simon's picture
by Paul Simon
June 24, 2014 - 6:03pm

When I roundtrip from Aperture to photoshop using catapult, I loose my edits from Aperture. Will catapult only work on RAW master and not save Aperture edits if Aperture edited before using Catapult. If so. what is workaround for saving edits in one image?

Thanks

Paul

Charles Putnam's picture
by Charles Putnam
June 24, 2014 - 8:05pm

Photoshop and Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) can’t read edits made to a RAW file in Aperture.  The opposite is true also (Aperture won’t render edits saved in a sidecar that were done in ACR or Lr).

Catapult transfers the unedited RAW file to Photoshop’s ACR, and saves back as whatever format you choose (TIFF, JPEG or Photoshop format recommended).  Note that if you save it as a DNG, Aperture won’t be able to read/render the edits you made in it.

Paul Simon's picture
by Paul Simon
June 24, 2014 - 8:20pm

Thank you Charles. So in my workflow, I should first round trip to Photoshop for say lens correction and then edit that Tiff in Aperture. So I could also take an image edited from Aperture to NIK, back to Aperture, then to Photoshop via Catapult and then do desired edits in Aperture and not loose any edits?

Charles Putnam's picture
by Charles Putnam
June 24, 2014 - 8:58pm

What I’ve done in the past is to use Photoshop only for those really tough images - those that have a wide contrast range, or have totally blown highlights or shadows that only PS can really recover, I’ll send via Catapult to PS CC.  For simple lens correction, I use PTLens.

After an image comes back in to Aperture via Catapult, I’ll make any other needed adjustments or apply a preset.

FWiW, I’m only applying lens correction to images shot at 28mm or less.  I’m finding images shout above 28mm really don’t benefit from lens correction.

Paul Simon's picture
by Paul Simon
June 24, 2014 - 9:27pm

The new lens correction for perspective control works well in ACR. I also find that noise reduction and photo merging work very well in Photoshop. I shoot landscapes and find I use these functions. Most of my post processing is with Aperture and NIK.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness