You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Canvas like look to image - a tutorial? #1
Robert Sfeir's picture
by Robert Sfeir
October 8, 2012 - 12:54am

I've been trying to figure out if there's a way to get this type of look in aperture:

http://500px.com/photo/10090873

I know it involves textures, I know Joseph has his packs, and what I'm interested in is a tutorial on how I might work with aperture to achieve this. I am guessing that it takes something like Photoshop or Pixelmator to do it, and that's OK, but also to turn it into a preset.

I know this is a really broad kind of question, and I don't expect a 1,2,3 type of answer, but any clues on where to at least start looking would be wonderfully appreciated. I've looked at bricks to see if there is one where I can simply add a texture image and lay the image on top and adjust transparency etc… but nothing there, I've tried to search and see how to make textures but nothing seems to pop up.

Any help is appreciated.

R

Robert Sfeir's picture
by Robert Sfeir
October 11, 2012 - 4:27am

I thought Joseph might have created one to show how to create your own, for some reason I can’t find it. Is there a specific link you had in mind? I’m more than happy to pay for the video and watch how. Thanks

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 12, 2012 - 2:00am

Did I ever show how to make those? I didn’t think I did… maybe I did somewhere along the line. If so, I honestly couldn’t tell you which video ;-) Hmm maybe it was a podcast, back when I was doing those?

The process isn’t easy, but basically what you have to do is create a mask on the adjustment you want to use (usually levels or curves), close Aperture, open the package, locate the mask TIF, open it in Photoshop or similar, replace the TIF with a texture, save, close, reopen Aperture, and there’s your texture applied to your image.

Kind of a pain, really…

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Robert Sfeir's picture
by Robert Sfeir
October 13, 2012 - 3:49am

heh thanks Joseph. Now that you meant ion masking, I think you spoke in a video I have about how to do custom masks, so the same thing would apply. So in this case, I’d apply a full mask across the whole image really, edit the TIF in Pixelmator (I’m a fan of that) and replace with what I want the effect to look like.

I wonder if onOne Software layer plug will actually help. GOing to try it.

R

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
October 8, 2012 - 10:51pm

Hi Robert

Joseph has presets for sale (cheap + High value) = (bargain!!). Start with those and experiment with color shifts toward warmer light. Presets are a great starting point, they use mask overlays and tweak the curves and other adjustment Bricks. Problem is that you don’t want to use the same mask for every image in a series or portfolio. Joseph explains in a movie how to make you own and I suggest watching that too. When you can look at your images and recognize the mask used then you need to make your own so the subject is prominent and visible to the viewer and not the mask. MHO

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness